Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Passenger wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Passenger wheelie

Last night I pulled my first ever passenger wheelie.

Thankfully it was with the girl who was on the back - cause if it was anyone else other than maybe 1 other girl - it would have ended VERY badly.

I just wanted to do a hard pull from a rolling start, so I tapped her and she grabbed on and I hit the gas - like I had done with her on board several times before.

Well... new clutch, new chain, new sprocks, fairly new tire... and even though it was only 60 degrees out - up came the front end - and QUICK. Completely un-intentional, and certainly caught me off guard. I know it came up a good 2.5 to 3 feet before I was able to whack the throttle closed.

Scared the crap out of myself... but apparently she thought it was awesome, and according to those present - it looked pretty badass too.

I'm just glad it ended the way it did... cause if something were to happen to her or any passenger on my bike - especially because of my own stupidity, I would never forgive myself.

Careful with your passengers, guys... their lives are in your hands.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Passenger wheelie

So why are you posting this????? You make excuses for lifting the front with a passenger and yet you say it is a bad thing to do.

Well maybe you should learn to control your bike a little better before accepting passengers.

I saw a nasty spill today..... just to see more of the attitude puts me over the top.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow... and a big kick to my head - thanks a lot. I've been riding sport for 15 years, and understand that if I *DIDN'T* have control - it would have ended in a hell of a spill for both of us, or dumping her off the back... so... **** off with your commentary, alright?

My point was that a momentary lapse in concentration - however brief - can have some fairly wicked results, even for an experienced rider, and for that very reason - and the one I posted above - you need to take damn care of your passengers because their lives are in your hands. I think that underlying message should come through pretty freakin clear without you trying to twist it around.

I make no excuses for what I do... 1 drop, 15 years ago, not a scratch since, 180,000+ miles all on 3 Ninjas, at least 1/6th with passengers, and I have introduced and taught dozens to bikes and how to ride - I think I might be doing a thing or three right. Perfect? No - far from it - which is the point of my post above.

*I* screwed up and *I* overcooked it and *I* could have had a very un-happy ending to the story above. It was an educational and suggestive post - nothing more. Take it as such without tossing me to the lions.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

No offence to you Srobak.....but the spill I saw today got me really pissed.....the rider CLAIMED, that he told his female passenger that he was going to loft the bike. (no excuse as far as the law is concerned) .....noone the least she ended up on pavement and I saw it.

Well I may **** off your commentary...no problem

But your attitude exempilifies the holyer than thou attitude .....shoot I've done dumb azz sheet on a bike but I did not post about them and learned from them....never mind getting pissed when someone calls me on doing sumtin stupid which I posted on an open internet forum. I don't care how much expericnence you have, ... post sumthin stupid and expectec to get responses.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I posted it so that OTHERS don't do something stupid and so THEY TOO can learn from my errors, as I did. There is nothing holy about that and the attitude was nothing more than "hey this is what I did - with a step-by-step detail so you know if/when you are doing it - don't do this, cause it's bad."

*shrug*

I take my passengers' safety *very* seriously, and there are certain thresholds which I will simply will not cross when I have a passenger - regardless how experienced she is. Wheeling is one of those thresholds, and trust me when I say I felt REAL bad about it immediately afterwards. As I said in the first post - it was completely un-intentional. I was just going for a fairly hard rip from a rolling start and overcooked it. Was gunning for acceleration - not passenger wheeling a 500lb bike...

Old 06-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

good job on keeping it together when not expecting something man... stuff happens, its how you deal with it that matters... and sounds like u did a good job, now if you came on her braggin how u wheelied ur bike with a passenger..... but it was an accident. I give ya props for controling it.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Agree with EMS... I've done it before too. I've never tried to wheelie with a passenger, but have brought it up twice (two different bikes) by accident. It scared the hell out of me both times. My mistake was inexperience the first time, and underestimating the bikes power the second time. It's not something I'm proud of, but it has happened. I am proud of the fact that no one got hurt either time.

FM, was the girl injured that you saw today?

Old 06-22-2008, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah first thing i do when i have a passenger is she's getting as good a helmet as mine and my good leathers. i'd rather sacrifice myself for being dumb than injure my passenger.

it's good you kept it under control and now u know, now u guys kiss and make up lol

Old 06-22-2008, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: supercop2469
FM, was the girl injured that you saw today?
Ummmm ya....she slid at least 40 yds on asphalt.....she was lucky thou....nobody ran her over. BTW she was was in serious pain and the dumb azz driver had this defensive attitude.....I had to leave.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn...hate to hear that.

Quick Reply: Passenger wheelie