Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

And the painting has begun...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Hahaha! Nice. And thanks for the tip!...again!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Just a couple comments.
1. Be VERY careful painting when it's raining (unless you have a mega buck paint booth). You can get condensation and/or moisture working against you, and it always wins.
2. Are you taking the plastic off of the bike before you paint it? you may want to wet sand it with some 400 grit wet/dry, and then tack cloth it or use some alcohol on a rag to make sure it's good to shoot. The sanding will reduce the chance of prior waxes (i.e. silicone) ruining the finish. I'd also recommend sanding lightly between coats.
3. TAKE YOUR TIME. Painting is 98% preparation and 2% shooting. You want the outcome to be something you can look at and be proud of. Check out Muttgrunt's finish in another post on this site.
So far so good; keep the pics coming!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Good job Keistinaaaa! I do not know too many ladies that would even try to paint a bike. I admire your spirit, and it's lookin good babe.
I wouldn't paint in high humidity because it is just not good for paint. A slight amount of humidity will create fish eyes, and in general a paint job that does not adhere to the plastic.
Just dont paint if it's going to rain! But hey, it's lookin badass so far, and keep up the good work.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Okay-I got a little impatient but trust me, it wasn't raining when I started to paint! It'll be next week before I continue probably because it's supposed to be raining for a good while.

Yeah, I'm taking the plastic off when I paint it. Well, my boyfriend did. I left it up to him to put it back on as well, (yes, I did help.) What grit should I sand it with between coats? I have 320 at the house..should I get something else as well?

And thanks, Worlock:] Honestly, I'm pretty proud of myself. I figured that in my ol' 19 years, it was about time I accomplished something. This will be a nice year for me, I think. Learning to ride was one big step, and now making my bike look nice. (Well, nice to me:]) And what are fish eyes? I know I saw a couple of bubbles..what caused it? It was in direct sunlight when it was drying (my mistake..it was friggen hot outside, too. I actually got sunburnt..surprise.)

I think it'll keep getting better. Thanks for the feed back(and compliments:]). Just so you all know-I'm super happy I joined this forum. You guys are great.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Kewl flat black rocks

Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, thanks. I like it a lot. I prefer it over glossy.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, and aside from sanding, is there a way to get ride of a little...hm "cut" in the metal? Sanding would take too long and might make a weird dent looking thing in the bike. Is there something to use to fill it in or something?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I love my black bike.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

That's pretty. I don't think I'm gonna put stickers back on'er though.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:09 AM
1st Gear Member

It came with those, I didnt add any.

Quick Reply: And the painting has begun...