Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: What shoudl i do
Stay here and deal with it
23.53%
Look for something else, then quit
64.71%
fock it, quit on friday
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

the place im interviewing at tomorrow is the engineering company that did the pittsburgh steelers stadium, Heinz field.
http://www.kimballcorp.com/

Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Nah dude I am not moving to where it snows again..lol , if I was still with my wife maybe but not by myself. I started looking on monster, and dice so I will keep you all posted…

Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Talca
I am a Lead Data warehouse and reporting developer (basically a computer programmer that climbed up the ladder), i also just got my MBA.
i though that at first, that the guy might be like this at first but now it is just getting old, i am not a big fan of having to go home an work every night, and it has been like that since i started, they are really disorganized here. my main reason for asking is because i have never quit a job so soon after starting, but sometimes we all make mistakes, right?
1. Its okay to say No. Just be tactful when you are doing it and provide concrete evidence as to why you are unable to work outside your 10 hr day.

2. Learn your company procedures and any other rules and guidelines necessary to your job forward and backwards. This will save your *** in the long run.

3. Document, Document, Document everything you do! You create a paper trail with 100% accuracy and when the **** goes down your *** will be saved.

4. Leaders do not accept chaos and disorganization, be innovative in your approaches to your supervisors and suggest opportunities for improvement. Being persuasive will open the doors for you to run your job like you want to and put you in a leadership position within the company. This has been proven and it works! :d

5. Lastly, have fun with what you do. If you aren't having fun and you do not enjoy your job then there is no reason for you doing it. You need to find what you like about your job and find things you look forward to doing so you can enjoy your job.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

follow your heart Mr Talca, thats what im doing.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

if i were you id knock the boss guy out and rob his ***...

but thats me

Old 11-20-2008, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Talca
I am a Lead Data warehouse and reporting developer (basically a computer programmer that climbed up the ladder), i also just got my MBA.
Yo Talca !!! Greetings from S. Florida, where you at? My office is in Deerfield Beach and I live in North Palm.

But back to the subject at hand....Data warehouse and developer. Hmmm... How are your SQL and C# skills performing moderately complicated data manipulations then with transformations to XML using a predetermined XML Schema for data transfer to the EPA.....I could use some help.

Oh, if you are good at C# and SQL that would be good enough for now, I got the SQL to XML transfer figured out now....ooh what about establishing OPC connections using C# and logging data in SQL...I need big time help for some applications on that....so much coding, so little time.

Just a FYI we design and build air pollution control devices...primarily for the power generation industry, and we are SLAMMED ....development work would be with the emissions monitoring equipment ... logging data ... blah..blah.

Post up or send me a pm (but I am know for not seeing and not responding to pm's)....I need some help.

But you have to own at least one bike with knobbies and a tag.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 11-20-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Speaking of SQL and all that jazz .... are your companies trying out this new sharepoint stuff? I've been toying around with it like putting forms on the intranet that people can fill out and have them automatically go into the databse and stuff. I find this to be really convenient!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey FM, I am actually living in Coral Springs and working in Lake Worth.

Yeah, I have been working with SQL almost exclusively for the last four years, writing queries creating reports, data transfers, XML transmission (loads and data dumps), even working with Cognos. i have written code in C# but not really as an everyday task, so no i cannot say i am great with it, honestly i think the last time i used it was 3 years ago. I appreciate you consideration though.

Hey we should go for a ride sometime, but it will have to be on the street, no knobbies yet..maybe soon.

Last edited by Talca; 11-20-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chik636rydr
Speaking of SQL and all that jazz .... are your companies trying out this new sharepoint stuff? I've been toying around with it like putting forms on the intranet that people can fill out and have them automatically go into the databse and stuff. I find this to be really convenient!

yeah sharepoint if used could be really convenient, i tell you what though at my last job the lady that administered it went form crazy and we were filling out forms for everything....

Old 11-20-2008, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

See all this DB stuff is so foreign to me. I am a network engineer by degree (Cisco to be exact). My company moved me to the Quality department to inspect and coordinate and all that crap. Well, now it's moved into electronic data capturing and etc. They were like "get teh sharepoint stuff working". I'm like mkayyyy. LOL!

Quick Reply: Opinions