Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Online Music Stores

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Online Music Stores

I think I'm gonna give up XM satellite radio in favor of using Online music stores, and downloading music to my portable audio player. If I go this route, I have two options. I can either get a subscription to one of the many online music stores in which you pay a small monthly fee for all the downloads you want, but once you end your subscription, all your downloaded music becomes unplayable. Or, I could pay per song and own the music. (this would cost a lot of money to build up a complete catalog.)

I'm wondering if any of you guys have had good or bad luck with any particular music store online? I've never been a fan of XM radio's poor audio quality compared to most downloaded music, and you still can't choose what you want to listen to. For the same price of XM per month, I can get all the downloaded music I want. (I just can't keep it permanently[:'(])

Any suggestions? Does anyone see the value in subscription based downloads?

Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Online Music Stores

I use iTunes and haven't had any problems. With iTunes you can burn your music to CD if you want, that way you have a backup that you can still play, should something happen to your computer or ipod.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I use www.hotwomenwhocansingnaked.com lol lol lol lol

I LOVE my sirius radio. Hairnation baby! lol

When I download, I usually use msn. But, I only download maybe 5-6 songs a week.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Actually, last weekend I bought an iPod, three days later I returned it because I hated using iTunes so much. (In my opinion, WMP11 is just light years ahead as far as allowing you to organize, and synchronize the way you want.) Plus, I just don't like the idea of being stuck with only one way of buying my music online. I really wish I could have kept the iPod since it was very high quality compared to some of the cheap crappy MP3 players out there. I spent a lot of time researching different players before I bought two! I got a flash based 4GB samsung T9 so I could use it while exercising, and a 60GB HHD based toshiba gigabeat which does EVERYTHING you could imagine!

Old 12-03-2006, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigRig18Wheeler

I use www.hotwomenwhocansingnaked.com lol lol lol lol

I LOVE my sirius radio. Hairnation baby! lol

When I download, I usually use msn. But, I only download maybe 5-6 songs a week.
Hey BG! Where the hell have you been!???

Old 12-03-2006, 08:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I think Yahoo music sounds like the best deal out there. $11.99 per month, and .79 cent downloads. I'm not sure though how many portable devices are allowed. (remember, I have two portables)

Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

So on Yahoo, you have to pay 11.99 a month AND .79 per song?

On walmart you pay .88 per song and no monthly fee.

On walmart or msn, I download to Media player and organize my mp3 player from that.

I been WAY to busy! lol....mo betta now.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

You have to subscribe to the Yahoo music unlimited service (which is the unlimited download service) in order to buy their songs at .79 cents. Walmart's site won't allow any music with parental warnings, and their downloads are only 128kbps instead of Yahoo's 192kbps downloads.

All of the music I have so far on my computer is at 192kbps, and I want to keep it that way.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been using Napster for some time now...they give military discounts...

Old 12-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

You have to subscribe to the Yahoo music unlimited service (which is the unlimited download service) in order to buy their songs at .79 cents. Walmart's site won't allow any music with parental warnings, and their downloads are only 128kbps instead of Yahoo's 192kbps downloads.

All of the music I have so far on my computer is at 192kbps, and I want to keep it that way.
oooohhhhhhh..... I have no clue. lol..... I just click the buy button. I wonder what msn is? I guess the 128 vs the 192 is the quality?

Quick Reply: Online Music Stores