Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Off Topic Rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Off Topic Rant

Last time the Barrel price of fuel was this low in USA , The Gal Price was about $1.25. Yet I hear these retards cheerfully saying how low the price of gas is. At $2.19, we are still getting ripped off people. Yes it's better than $4 per Gal but it's still too high. Okay, Great it's lower now but I won't be satisfied til it's below $1.50 and stays there. That's the only way other stuff will come back down to where it belongs. High fuel is a snowball effect that causes every other product to cost more.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

ANd, while we are at it, if all the stuff in the supermarket had a big bump in price due to high transportaion costs, now that fuel has dropped, why hasnt everything else?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Id rather pay $5 + a gallon for gas today.........

Then having my retirement funds down 25% for the last 12 months.....Mileage I can work around but years of investing I cant......Most likely at 36 years old Ill have to work another 3+ years just from a 1 years lost from a decently diverse 401k plan.......

Id rather pay higher prices for today then interest rates tomorrow and the next day....Credit is a lifetime debt.....Cash is king.....Discounted items paid in cash is even better......

Rocco

Old 11-09-2008, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

This is OT and belongs elsewhere IMHO...

But in response to the above posts: Simply, the big companies (and smaller ones) can make more money. They got away with charging $5 for X, so why not keep charging $5 for X? If people paid it before they'll keep paying it.

Same with big oil. They use % hike to make profit. Well when oil went through the roof, they continued to charge the same % which is why they made bazillions of profit. If everything was peaches and cream they would have decreased their percentage profit to keep prices reasonable. Yeah, they wouldn't have made super-duper more money, but they would have kept making the same $$ amount of profit. But you know rich people. More more more!

The flaw of this "free economy" (notice I used quotes) is that as long as you can get away with it, you can do it.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I live in the middle of the Texas oil patch, and my wife works for a local oil exploration company. The local economy is barely affected by the current housing/wall street crisis.

I like the lower gas prices as much as the next guy, but it's hard for me to bitch when they're high.

Rest assured, let a polar bear fart on an iceberg somewhere, and we'll be back to $4.00 a gallon gas.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thunderchild
Rest assured, let a polar bear fart on an iceberg somewhere, and we'll be back to $4.00 a gallon gas.

Agreed, let's enjoy the prices while they last.

Mike

Old 11-09-2008, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

That polar bear's fart is directly connected to your nostrils.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by f1rocco
Id rather pay $5 + a gallon for gas today.........

Then having my retirement funds down 25% for the last 12 months.....Mileage I can work around but years of investing I cant......Most likely at 36 years old Ill have to work another 3+ years just from a 1 years lost from a decently diverse 401k plan.......

Id rather pay higher prices for today then interest rates tomorrow and the next day....Credit is a lifetime debt.....Cash is king.....Discounted items paid in cash is even better......Rocco
Yo Rocco....This is a great time to roll your 401k into a Roth IRA...hint ... hint...hint.

Only pay CURRENT taxes on that flow now....at a discount no less. PLUS no taxes on it ever again, even capital gains. Tax rates will be higher in the future too.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Originally Posted by cliffsta
This is OT and belongs elsewhere IMHO...
Sorry about that:

Old 11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

My neighbor bought a rake.

Quick Reply: Off Topic Rant