Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

News Letter

Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default News Letter

Recently I was asked to writs a short article about a couple of Oak trees up here at work, and the history of those trees. I need some feedback before I submit. Let me know what you guys think. I know what you are thinking, what is a Maintenance Mechanic II doing writing instead of keeping up on the mechanical repairs, well once in a while the two are related.

Here is the article, and a couple of pictures to go along with it.

Often times when we look at nature, we are reminded of ourselves in a lot of ways. Fred Rosmond taught us that and much more in the things he did with his life. After all, trees are a lot like people. They can both stand tall, weather anything that comes their way, or can be uprooted and live only a short while, with nothing to offer as they slowly disappear.
While I never got a chance to work for Fred at his mill here in Forks, I did however get to share something rare and special with him. What he left here at the ONRC is a wonderful example of the kind of person he was. His legacy in nature also reminds me personally of something special as well.
In April of 1996 Fred donated two Oregon White Oak tree seedlings to the ONRC. He started these trees at his home here in Forks from acorns that he collected. And as he often did, he was excited to share his love of trees with others.
I can still remember that day when Fred and I planted those two trees. They were barely a couple of feet tall as we placed them in the front yard here at the Center. I didn’t realize then that these two trees would come to symbolize something special for me personally. Now looking at them 13 years later, they both stand over 20 feet tall, and are a great expression, without a word, of the forester Fred Rosmond.
This year however as we have watched these trees grow up over the years, something exciting has occurred. One of our Oak trees has reached a maturity milestone, marked by the appearance of acorns. It’s not often that you get to see this happen, or maybe it’s not often that we take the time to stop and think about it, but then that’s when it hit me. I am reminded by these trees of the fact that my own son is also maturing.
My wife and I lived here at the center for about a year and a half, and in fact our son was born shortly after these trees were planted. It seems that now, every time I look at these trees, I am reminded of my own legacy. I think that’s what Fred was trying to share with all of us. In a way he was trying to teach us all that we can live life, share what we have, and appreciate the beauty that we see around us.

Thank you Fred for teaching us that….
Deric Kettel
Maintenance Mechanic II
University of Washington
Olympic Natural Resources Center

Name:  Deric.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  152.8 KB

Name:  OakTreeAcorn.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  155.5 KB

Old 10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

By the way those were nice separated paragraphs, but the forum squished it all together. LOL

Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I left out the part about my son getting his acorns ..

Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Nice work, Deej. You're exactly right. Well captured.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

great job!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow nice job deej!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Good job Deejer! If I had to write a story about trees, it would probably scare people

Last edited by Worlok14; 10-08-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Well done!

Old 10-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Stay with your other day job. lol not bad deej.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: News Letter