Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

In the news....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default In the news....

This is the stuff that gives us bikers a bad name. I'm NOT going to get all preachy here....it's not like I don't go out for a "test run" every now and then!! MY ISSUE, is with how long you hang into the throttle. If you are STUPID enough to run 140mph for several miles of very public highway, then expect law-abiding citizens to report you. Especially "on the interstate"....REALLY???
Choose your "tuning runs" carefully. Remember, humans tend to generalize behavior of visually similar groups. What YOU do (or I do) on a bike will get lumped together in the brains of non-riders. Act accordingly, OK? Thanks.

Police: 4 NY motorcyclists clocked going 138 mph

Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Exactly! Choose carefully. Same goes with loud pipes on trails and overly-aggressive riding when there are hikers and mountain bikers around. There are enough folks out there who want to close trails. No need to give them any more reasons.

::rant over::

Old 07-22-2013, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

How much do you want to bet one of the dudes also sports a mohawk on his helmet.

Whenever I see one of those things I think instant douche-bag.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

A nice Tuck and Roll in that pic.

I am not fit and trim either, but why advertise the issue????

Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I shouldn't add this, but I will. In the hands of a competent rider and well-maintained bike, 140mph is no huge deal; I don't actually consider that reckless........UNTIL you try to do it on a PUBLIC HIGHWAY IN BROAD DAYLIGHT WITH PLENTY OF WITNESSES and don't know when to get out of it. That's just STUPID.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:07 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

lol just cited and released? here in cali above 100mph is do not pass go and directly to jail. bike impounded. these yahoos were released? must be nice....

Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

"We're sorry, but the page you've requested cannot be found."

Unfortunately for me that link is no longer available but I get the just from what everyone before me is saying. Yes, this has got to be reckless and them getting away with just a ticket is very darn lucky. Also, most sport bikes can reach 140 easily but unless you're at a track with the proper safety gear no one should be doing that kind of speed on a highway, any small pothole and you're absolutely going to lose control. Glad these guys got off that easy and didn't end up in an accident.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sportriderrr

... Also, most sport bikes can reach 140 easily but unless you're at a track with the proper safety gear no one should be doing that kind of speed on a highway, any small pothole and you're absolutely going to lose control.
Actually, it's the raccoons, 'possums, and buzzards (which can't judge speed and distance very well) and the deer coming out of thickets you need to watch for on public highways..... i.e. the "back-country road straightaways." The road surface MUST BE already familiar to you, so you KNOW the potholes.
....and no......um.......you should never do that......

Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Deer...I hate them. Have nearly stroked out a few times they scared me so bad on the bike...and then I actually hit one with my car about 2 years ago doing around 55-60. My car was less than 30 days old. Deer are bastards. Lol.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Deer and Wolves

They introduced wolves here in Idaho a while back. Hunters claim they are thinning out the elk and deer populations and are severely anti-wolf. However, I have several riding buddies who are pro-wolf for the hope that they are thinning the populations. One buddy ran into a heard of deer at night, on his BMW, killing 4 and really messing up his bike.

Quick Reply: In the news....