Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

New California Law “Muffles” Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New California Law “Muffles” Motorcycles

I know this is old news to many, but I came across it tonight and it reminded me how glad I am to have bought my bike this year. I feel sorry for future bike owners.

California Motorcycle's Get "Muffled" | Motorcycle Parts and Accessories Blog

Old 03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Goes to show what happens whenever some jerks think "everyone wants to hear my thunder", or "I really like the sound of my header when my bike hits 10,000". If anyone reading this happens to be one of those people - tough stuff! You guys caused it.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow, that is too bad. This means that my state and other West Coast states will most likely follow along

Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad im in KS hehehe. We have nothin like that.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Theres a couple of towns Newport, East Greenwich. That have noise laws for bikes. The cops sit by the bridge and turn you around if your bikes to loud.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Trust me older bikes will be brought under the law, its only a matter of time. I'm surprised you don't need a permit to fart in Cali...grrrrrrr

Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I feel sorry for future bike owners.
That would be us.

Here's how the law reads today. A few interesting points.

California Vehicle Code Section 27202.1
Federal Noise Emissions Label

27202.1. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, a person shall not park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the State of California, that does not bear the required applicable federal Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system label pursuant to Subparts D (commencing with Section 205.150) and E (commencing with Section 205.164) of Part 205 of Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations. A violation of this section shall be considered a mechanical violation and a peace officer shall not stop a motorcycle solely on a su****ion of a violation of this section. A peace officer shall cite a violation of this section as a secondary infraction.

(b) A violation of this section is punishable as follows:
(1) For a first conviction, by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50), nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).
(2) For a second or subsequent conviction, by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).
(c) (1) The notice to appear issued or complaint filed for a violation of this section shall require that the person to whom the notice to appear is issued, or against whom the complaint is filed, produce proof of correction pursuant to Section 40150.
(2) Upon producing proof of correction to the satisfaction of the court, the court may dismiss the penalty imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) for a first violation of this section.
(d) (1) This section is applicable to a person operating a motorcycle that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013, or a motorcycle with aftermarket exhaust system equipment that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013.
(2) Penalties imposed pursuant to this section are in addition to penalties imposed pursuant to any other applicable laws or regulations.
(3) This section does not supersede, negate, or otherwise alter any other applicable laws or regulations.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 407, Stats. 2010. Effective January 1, 2011.

A few interesting points:
1. "a peace officer shall not stop a motorcycle solely on a su****ion of a violation of this section." Cool!
2. How will a cop know it's aftermarket?
3. How will a cop measure the sound output? These test tend to be elaborate in nature. Not sure if the average cop will have the ability to test you on the side of the road.
4. This is a fix-it ticket. Not real worried.

Why is s-u-s-p-i-c-i-o-n a bad word?

Last edited by Lotrat; 03-26-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:26 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

This so called law is what got me out of dune rides in the '80's. Sound test stations, inspections and diminished ride areas within 2yrs of the law passing.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

S_P_I_C the forum engine doesn't like it. It is funny how it will pull it out of the middle of a word.......

Old 05-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

again the man just trying to hold us down. all we want to do is be free, free to ride our machines. < stole from old james dean movie but still true to this day....

Quick Reply: New California Law “Muffles” Motorcycles