Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New Bike

This is a sort of goodbye thread, although I'll still be dropping in from time to time to make sure that you're all behaving and not encouraging newbies to buy big bikes and fit HIDs.

I've ordered a new Street Triple R, with the the 'free' radiator cowls, belly pan and flyscreen and a dealer supplied seat cowl and custom gloss graphite and silver paint job, so it'll be goodbye to the ER-6f in a a few weeks.

I've had it for nearly 4 years, enjoyed it, done a lot less mileage than I'd intended (only 21K) due to a change of work location, and it's only going because that's as long as I keep any bike.

Rob

Old 01-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

LOL

Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

pics when you get it!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

that is a big change william. Ya sure you can handle the triple? lol Ride safe and enjoy

Old 01-14-2011, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Pics when I get it. About 6 weeks. Take me a couple of days to fit all the extra bits before I take pictures.

My first big bike was an ex track bike I bought in 1968 and made road legal by fitting lights. Magneto ignition and no dynamo (alternators hadn't been invented), so I had to be home before the battery ran flat at night lol.

Not particularly fast by today's standards - 130 flat out, but that was with a square Avon SMll rear tyre and a single leading shoe front brake. Nothing scary about the triple, but like any fastish new bike it'll need to be treated with respect until I'm fully used to it.

Rob

Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Dont take it on heart man its a world and everything is happen here. so ignore those person

Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by carlover
Dont take it on heart man its a world and everything is happen here. so ignore those person
Just exactly what in the hell are trying to say?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I think he thought that I felt insulted by Dragone's post.

I wasn't lol.

I might wrong anyway. I do hope though, that English isn't carlover's first language.

Rob

Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I never rode a street or speed triple, but I did ride my friends daytona 675 a little while ago. I can't compare it to my 636 because it had been so long but compared to my RC-51 the 675 felt as lite as a bicycle. It has an amazing sound to it, but it lacked power or at least compared to my RC. From what I remember it didn't feel nearly as fast as my 636 was. I remember just going W.O.T. in 2nd getting onto the freeway and thinking was this all it has? I do love the look of the 675 and the sound. When ever I went W.O.T. with my 636 she liked to lift the front wheel off as she tore down the road. My RC just feels like a freight train as weights about as much too lol. What made you pick the street triple over the speed triple or a daytona 675?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 AM
1st Gear Member

You can't compare a litre bike with a 675. That said, the Daytona has only fractionally less power than the RC-51, but with peak torque not coming in until around 11,000 rpm it takes a different riding technique to use the power. There's also the point that 3 cylinder engines, with a balance to take out the rocking couple, are super smooth compared to any other bike engine, and that's enough to make them a little deceptive in terms of power delivery.

That said, my bikes are workhorses for everyday use. The Daytona is built as a race bike. It's useless on the street in any sort of traffic. The riding position is far too extreme for all day comfort and your ability to see what's happening in the traffic around you is limited by it as well.

I do want the agility of a bike like the Daytona - the RC-51 and Speed Triple are both too much of a lump - far too clumsy - and the standard Street Triple has more rake and trail, reducing its agility, so the Street Triple R with the same steering geometry and suspension as the Daytona but a useable riding position works well.

It's down a bit on power - the engine is detuned - compared to Daytona, but that moves the torque peak down by about 1,000 rpm making it a more road useable motor. I think I've posted before that anything over about 130 mph top speed is useless on the road if you want to keep your licence, so the agility and light weight of the bike is main factor.

Another point is that the twin H4 headlights put a lot more light on the road than the H7s of the faired bikes, but without the inconvenience to other road users of HID conversions.

Down side is lack of a fairing for weather protection, but it has a belly pan; the flyscreen fitted with a Powerbronze screen provides upper body protection and the radiator cowls extend far enough to keep cold air off the knees, so it isn't too bad.

Rob

Quick Reply: New Bike