Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

My buddy's first bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My buddy's first bike

Okay, I've been looking.. I like the Ducati monster. It's pretty sweet, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of aftermarket parts available for them. And most are made by ducati as "accessories". Although, the tail chopping looks kinda badass. And people seem to be all about the carbon fiber on the monsters. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

See, I'm actually trying to talk my buddy INTO getting a monster because it's a smaller bike than the one he wants (and he also likes the monster). He actually wants to buy a busa and the only other time he rode a motorcycle was his old friend's ninja and he crashed it into a garage immediately after getting on it. I'm really afraid he's going to either A. kill himself or B. dump his bike right away and be really pissed because he spent all this money on a bikethat he immediately jacks up.

I started trying to convince him to just get something small and cheap for a first bike but he won't have it. He says "if I'm going to buy a bike, I'm going to get what I want". I'm really afraid he's gonna kill himself. He says he'll take it easy, but he really likes to go fast. He owns a 2000 celica that he swapped engines for a built up (forged pistons, rods, slightly larger bore, lowered compression) and built his own turbo kit for it so he's pushing roughly 350+hp (unsure yet as it's not been tuned out completely) and the car is light as hell with a fiberglass body kit and it was light to begin with. Anyways, he likes to go fast and he thinks he's a racecar driver.

I guess what would be best is to find a way to convince him to either get a smaller bike or none at all because I'd like for my friend not to die. Advice would be great, although I doubt any of you could come up with anything that I haven't already thought of. Guess I'm just babbling because I'm wired on Red Bull and it's 1/4 to 3am. What bothers me the most is that he doesn't really even know how to ride a bike and he's wanting to buy a busa as his first bike and he thinks that's just fine as if his (not really)racecar driving skills will translate easily into motorcycles.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My buddy's first bike

Those types are a danger to themselves. It's like the conversation we are always having about soldiers getting killed on motorcycles. They come back from Iraq with all the money they saved up, buy the biggest, baddest bikes they can find, and wreck them at triple-digit speeds. Tell your friend he needs to start out smaller.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Duece, only thing I could suggest is letting him suffer some humility on a kick azz dirt bike..say a Husky 510.....it will throw him like an angry bull and scare him I hope......offroad a wipe out is not so badcompared to onroad. Top end is only 90 or so but at 250lbs with 65+ hp it might work? best of luck.

Edit the 510 is street legal if thats any help and plenty are available used.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Not a bad idea

Old 11-10-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

The key would be actually convincing him to get a dirt bike. He's already decided on the bike he wants. It would be a good idea and if I could convince him to get something other than damn near the fastest bike around I'd definately do that. I wish my old bike was still running, I'd let him ride that... Hmm, maybe he could fix it up and ride it.. I'd imagine it'd be cheaper than buying any other bike...

But, let me explain something about my friend here. To him, image is everything.. Even though he'd never admit it. But, I have had to wait for him while he changed 5 times so he looked just right. He's worse than any girl I've ever dated. I just don't know that he'd be caught dead riding anything other than what he perceives as "cool". If it's not something that will get him tons of looks and compliments then he's not really about it.

My personal opinion is that he wants a bike mostly for that reason. He doesn't understand the freedom or the excitement of riding, he just wants the recognition. It's very difficult to get through to a guy like him about anything. How do I bring him down to earth to show him that a bike is more than an accessory?

Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Find some pictures on the internet of really grizzly bike wrecks, and show them to him while at the same time explaining what happens to people that get bikes they can't handle.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Good idea.. I had a feeling it would lead to something along those lines. Maybe he'll even listen.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

That's the wrong damn reason to get a bike.. people like that are the ones that get themselves and other people killed.They are also the first ones to do something stupid and give the rest of the sportbike world a bad name.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the pics and tell him to watch youtube motorcycle accidents, i think there are a couple of really nasty first timers there

Old 11-10-2007, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike accident pic that was on here awhile back with the guy embedded into the back of a semi is a good start

Quick Reply: My buddy's first bike