Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Motorcycle Mechanics Institute?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Default Motorcycle Mechanics Institute?

I was wondering if there were any MMI Graduates out there or know of any. I have been thinking of going to the school in Phoenix, AZ. all opinons welcome.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Motorcycle Mechanics Institute?

my freind went to MMI and he learned alot, but he did'nt learn enough cuz when he got out he worked for a shop for a few months then quit and stayed home and made "water pipes" for a living[>:]...lol . we have one member that i know of on here "mmi86" he did the school very knowledgeable guy. i say do it!!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Water pipes. lmao.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I think a school like that is a good idea. you'll learn allot, and it will give you a good solid base to build on.
Education, nobody can ever take that away from you!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:50 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

except for that stuff you put in the water pipes what was i saying [sm=pimp.gif]

Old 12-13-2007, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

you say that like it's a bad thing!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I think alot depends on whether you want to do it (i.e. learn the tricks) as a vocation or avocation. Many of us on this site learned what we know through years (and I do mean YEARS) of experience, but we've managed to keep it as an enjoyable hobby. I'm not so sure I'd feel the same way about it if I had to learn it in a classroom and then go out and do it every day because I HAD to. It's different when you're working on some kid's bike that has come into the shop because he couldn't keep off the rev limiter, or ran out of oil, or did some other stupid crap that NOW you get to fix. Frankly, I enjoy working on my bike because it's mine. That doesn't necessarily mean I would enjoy working on other people's bikes. Just something to think about.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

aahahaha no it's not a bad thingbut when your parents spent hella money, you cut your hair and spend three years away from your homies and famliy then waste it makingbongs that'sthe bad part. they did work well tho[sm=pimp.gif]....lol so i say if you do it do it 100%
ORIGINAL: yoman1

you say that like it's a bad thing!

Old 12-15-2007, 04:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Question? What is the going rate for a mechanic? Was told anywhere from starting out on assembly of $12, up to $30/hr. A man cannot live long on $12/hr though if that is the case.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure there are fields that are way more lucrative, But I'm pretty sure you cant start at the top pay grades there either. it is better if you enjoy what you do. but most jobs do have there suck factor!!

I've trained quite a few kids(Isaykids because there way younger than me)that come out of an automotive college. It's definitely not real world experience, but it is a good base to build on.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Mechanics Institute?