Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Marine Funeral

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

It's not just the men and women of the armed forces that make sacrifices. Yhe families do to.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for making me cry brother

Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I first saw that pic in an email. It had a big letter with it and when i read it, it did bring tears to my eyes.

It is a very moving Picture!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

That picture is definitely worth a thousand words.
Thanks to all that serve… a thousand times over!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1 thanks to all our armed force members.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I have to say I am very pleased to read some of the comments I have here.

Too many times a day I run in to ignorant people who do not understand that you do not have to "support the war(s)" in order to "support the troops". They are two completely different things.

Just yesterday I sent this picture and the story to one of my best friend's. He said he "didn't get it".

I said Duty & Honor and all that.
He said "I hate the military"

Oh yeah - this ought to be good... "Why?" I ask.

He goes on about the wars, blah blah
I say, "You do realize that the military does not have any decision as to where they go and what they do, right? They follow direct orders from elected government officials. The military is a tool. They don't do this **** on their own. Yes - it can be and is often mis-applied and mis-used, but the military does not have the ability to question, object to or deny orders. It's only opinions are those of a tactical nature when presented to the politicians. Otherwise - their job is to follow orders."

He starts stammering and backpedalling and still blaming the military blah blah.

I ended the argument with this: Look - it's real simple - if you don't like how the military is being applied, then you need to take that up with your elected government. Despite not liking the decisions that your elected officials have made for the military, you can still support the troops. All they want to do is complete their mission (ie: follow orders, whatever they are), and get home to their families. They want to be there less than you want them to be there. You can support the troops without supporting the war.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like a good argument. that picture makes me sad

Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

The Marine Corps Prayer
Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose and deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family. Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Make me considerate of those committed to my leadership. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold. If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and grant me the wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer.

Rest in Peace.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Heartbreaking... It makes me a bit uncomfortable to see pictures of how people mourn. I've done alot of work at Arlington National Cemetary and they have a strict policy of not allowing tourists to snap photos of funeral processions or burials. I've seen cemetary officials fiercely scold people who photograph such things and rightfully so. I hope permission was given to release that photo if it's actual. I don't doubt for one minute that events like this occur. Hats off to all that serve and have served and to their families too.

Mike

Last edited by KDXmike; 01-30-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I have great respect for anybody or any forces that are willing to fight for our freedom, and the honor of our country.
I also have much respect for a women that is totally loyal to her husband, and wants to be with him even after death.
Anybody that does not respect our soldiers, and their families do not earn the right to be Americans.
It takes a very narrow mind to not see the loyalty and patriotism displayed in that picture. Those two things are what makes America and it's people great.

Quick Reply: Marine Funeral