Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Man this sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default Man this sucks.

This is from a person I meet a couple times. it really sucks that this happened

Today started off like any other day. I got up around 10 after spending the night at a buddies house, rode to my parents house where I proceeded to **** shower and shave, then took a nice nap.

I woke up from my nap around 3 to my brother needing some help getting his bike he had brought back from LA, out of the truck (that transported it here). As I am helping him he tells me about one of his best friends who got an 02 GSX-R 600 today. Apparently he was pretty stocked.

We finished the job and I took off to go see a friend of mine. I arrive 10 minutes later and begin catching up with my highschool buddy. About 5 minutes into this, I get a text message from my brother.

'Amo, please be safe. Please be safe. Jarrad Cole died riding today'

In case it wasn't clear, Jarrad Cole was the friend who got the GSXR. In fact, he hadn't even owned the bike for more than an hour, when he apparently accidently dumped he clutch, cause the front wheel to pop up and slam down, hitting his chest on the tank and going down.

He died a couple hours later at the hospital from internal bleeding.

I never really knew the kid, but he was 18-19 years old, apparently a great guy, a good friend of my brother's. This total freak accident caught us all by surprise, afterall, he was never known as a crazy risk taker.

When I think about this it frustrates me that it could have all been prevented. He had no mentors, or formal training on riding a motorcycle. I am not surprised he crashed, although due to the low speeds, I am surprised he died.

For myself I think, if only I had known about these details earlier, (Jarrad getting a bike and not having any training). I would have gladly rode over there and given him some instruction and guidance. Instead a family has lost a son.

Its a home hitting moment for me because it really makes clear the dangers of riding, especially starting out. For myself, I will make it a point to try and be there for beginners regardless of whether I know them or not. It's not worth dieing over.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Man this sucks.

[] man that bites BIG TIME condolences to the family []

Old 08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow that sux[&o]

Old 08-06-2007, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats too bad,like you said, if we all help out and give some experienced advice, maybe we can help prevent this kind of stuff. Sorry to hear aboutthings like this, take care of your brother, these situations are hard to deal with everytime.
Rick

Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

that is very tragic I very sorry to hear that. We had a similiar thing happen hear a couple weeks. The Sacramento Crothch Rockets had a ride I guess and they let a young man on the ride with only 2 weeks experience on a brand new GSXR and no license ride with them he did not negotiate the corner well, I guess. He ended up going off a cliff and dying. He was a father with young a child and married. It is just too much sometimes to think how quickly life can end and how in so many situations with motorcyclist it is preventable.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Thats why Im always down to take out new riders for a ride. I can make sure the pace is nice and easy for them and try to help out with any questions they have. Its sad that it happened.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Thta is why I always strees taking the MSF course

Old 08-06-2007, 07:20 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

exactly The MSF class is great and I think every one who rides should take the class.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

seriously....I always tell people to take the course, new riders and re-entry riders.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

The sacramento Bee had an article on him
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/309665.html

SACRAMENTO -- Two area men were killed Saturday in separate motorcycle accidents.

Jarrad Cole, 18, of Fair Oaks, crashed at about 11:50 a.m. as he was leaving a driveway in the 8500 block of Nephi Way.

Cole, a top scorer for Sacramento Waldorf's basketball team last season, had recently obtained his permit and was practicing riding his 2003 Suzuki RS motorcycle, purchased just two days earlier, according to a report from the California Highway Patrol.

The CHP said Cole accidently "popped a wheelie" as he accelerated through a left-hand curve, then lost control of the motorcycle, landing on a neighboring embankment landscaped with river rocks and railroad tie timbers.

Cole was taken to Mercy San Juan Medical Center, where he died less than an hour later. Cole was wearing a helmet at the time of the collision.

Christopher Ramos, 22, of Sacramento, died at about 3:30 a.m. after his motorcycle skidded out of control near American River Drive and Howe Avenue and hit a building, according to Sacramento Police Lt. Don Rehm.

Autopsies are pending on both men.

Quick Reply: Man this sucks.