Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Jury duty

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Jury duty

Hey all, I know some of you might know about me finally being on jury duty the past couple of weeks, well anyway I actually got called to report in on Monday morning. Well this is the first time I have ever actually been called in. I guess its because Washington gets juror names from the DMV now and since I don't vote, I guess that's why I had never been called. And the funny thing is I have always wanted to experience this. Anyway, I drove over an hour to the courthouse and there were 102 of us that started out on Monday and no court on Tuesday, so on Wednesday morning we started the day with 50 left. The attorneys ask more questions and eliminate more people, then around 11:30 with still 40 left and I was # 37 I thought well I guess I won't make it, how wrong I was. It seems at least here at this point it starts getting interesting. The Judge tell the first 14 people to take the jury box and then each of the attorneys get to excuse with no reason and no questions 8 people each. Well I quickly made it up as the line got shorter and then I found myself in the box and remained there as one of the 12 + 2 alternates. So the case is an 18 year old kid accused of Vehicular Homicide Hit and Run, so now it is all too real and the seriousness becomes apparent. Today we got to see graphic pictures of the guy that was walking across the street at 1:00 in the morning maybe drunk we don't know yet, hit by the kid and three other kids going somewhere between 65 and 80 mph also allegidly drunk and smoking pot but clocked at 114 two minutes before. I never realized that something I have always wanted to do would be this tough. Emotions of both sides of the families are high. But I am going to do my best. It will be something I will never forget. We resume on Monday with continuing testimony from prosecuting witnesses. I'm going to try and not think about it, but its still going to be there. Oh and I'm not supposed to talk about it with anyone, but you guy are nobody right?

Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Jury duty

Good Luck deej.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh I forgot to tell everyone, its kind of a high profile case. I guess it was on the front page in the town of over 20,000 people, but I can't read it until its over.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Well good luck and well hope those kids get put behind bars. Stupid *** drunk high cagers

Old 03-02-2007, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Well actually only the driver can be charged in the case, and one of the kids made a deal to testify against the driver. Anyway its not as cut and dry as it sounds, I'll let you know what happens, I've said too much already.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

i have no clue as to what you are talking about *looks around*

Old 03-02-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Guilty!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

That sucks man.... good luck. I wouldnt wanna do that.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

they never pic me im glad...

Old 03-02-2007, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

i got called once, but i was jury number 200+ and i called when i was suppose to they said call back on wed, well i dint even have to go into the court house. Me wanting to be lawyer i would love to sit in on one of those cases

Quick Reply: Jury duty