Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

I Need a Freakin' House!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I Need a Freakin' House!

Living in an apartment can be nice since you don't have to do any up-keep, or pay certain bills that come along with a house. But there's only so much I can take! The biggest problem by far is that all my garage is way too small to work on anything other than my bikes. It's not a big deal, except if I want to do anything to my car, I have to do it in the parking lot. (The management doesn't like that much.[:'(] This is a nicer complex I live in.) Worst of all is the electricity supply in my garage is very insufficient for my compressor. Every time the PSI drops to 90, and the compressor kicks on, the motor just grinds to a halt.[:@] (Then the circuit breaker goes unless I turn the compressor switch off.) The only way to even get the compressor running is to let the air out to 20 PSI or less. This is unacceptable! Of course I can't complain to the apartment people either because I'm not even supposed to be plugging anything into their garage outlets!

I would like to either rent, or possibly even buy a house, except I would likely need a room mate, or steady GF to help cover the costs of living in a home. The room mate I live with now would be great because we stay out of each other's way, but he is also lazy, and doesn't want to move. I don't really have many other room mate options either because I'm just too picky, and the friends I have that would be eligible to move out are also smokers that wouldn't live in a place where they couldn't smoke. I have one other friend, Laura who just wants to get out of her parents place after moving back in with them last year due to financial reasons. We have been discussing this for a while, but I'm not sure how likely it would be that she'll really do it. The only other thing that scares me is right now I have no money issues, but buying a house makes me feel like I'll be broke, and in debt![]

Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I Need a Freakin' House!

I got debt up to my ears and nothing to show for it but a 2'X3' piece of plastic, at least you would have something more substantial with a house. But always do your homework. when you buy the house its not just the sale price, you will have closing costs, possibly brokers fees, any other fee they can throw at you, plus you will have to furnish it, pay all the bills and upkeep, get a lawnmower and make the payments plus hundreds of things you never think about till it comes up. As for the roomate, thats not a bad plan, but I would only do that with a rental home. That way if things turn sour you arent left with bills you cant pay. And before even considering the place make sure you have ground rules in place, i.e., who gets the big room and who gets the garage. I guess you are actually kinda lucky, i pay $35 every month for an unheated unlit completely unpowered garage that isnt even connected to the complex, its on the other side of the parking lot. I only pay for it cause we have 2 cars and they only give us one spot.

Long post, sorry.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Some very good words from the wise! Those closing costs really scare me a LOT!

Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Just talked to a friend of mine who bought a house last month he pretty much said the same thing I did, included appliances like washer and dryer and fridge etc if the house doesnt come with them, you could be looking at 2-3k in appliances not counting furnishings, and then excessories like curtains or blinds rugs etc. also think about startup costs for stuff like cable which cost me like $250 to get on a3 week long waiting list for a hookup. He also said his closing costs were just under 5K but he was able to negotiate with the seller to split it dunno how they split it up but at least it takes some burden off you. He also said that if you had to finance and couldnt get 20% down payment then you would have to pay insurance too. Just remember most of these costs will be out of pocket, so make sure that homework is done. Hope that helps ya.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:33 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I feel you on the house thing. I wish i could get one but they are way over priced in C.A. Just to give you an idea of how bad it is. Im in a2 bedroomtown house right now and i pay almost 1k a month on rent. A room mate would be nice but I don't want to deal with some one elses crap and drama. I have enough of my own. Not to metion my dad isn't in the best of health and doesn't work so i let him take over the 2nd room. Kinda odd for a father to beliving with his son most of the time its the other way around, but its that or he lives on the street and theres no way I'm doing that to my dad. Maybe one day I could get a house of my own. Any one know any rich single women?

Old 04-01-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Funny this post is up, cause I been thinking about a house as well. Aszrael1266 you are right about ca. About 5 years ago I had to rent an apt. in salinas because of my job, and for a 1 bed 1 bath it cost 1g a month!!!! Of course all the cost of living is more the closer you get to the bay, but thats just crazy. I would not try to get a house for myself yet, cause of all the exta costs and bills I need to get out of the way first. When I do I will also move my mom and brother in as well. My mom dosnt make much and has no kind of retirement plan so I will be helping her out later in life. I look at it as the least I can do for what she has done for me. Mark I hope it all works out.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:28 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

When my mom passed away it was pretty hard for my dad. That was about the time he moved in with me. It sucks for me because i live about 40 miles from san francisco and 60 miles from the heart of silicon valley.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

wow.. you dont live in a very affordable area do you?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:05 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Nope it sucks. The avg income in silicon valley is like 80k a year.I can see why. Everything is priced so far out of reach for the normal person. It starting to catch up to people know. Forclosures are up something like 70% from last year because of all the creative loans people took out to get houses. I was looking at prices around here and for a 3 room house in my area is about 500-700k depending on what city you get it in. Don't even try to look at a house in San francisco. Condo's go for 500k plus and those are little studios.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

im fortunate ive never had to live in a apt. im in a 4 bedroom house right now with my buddy. its pretty good living. he has a boat and a stang ive got a ram and a bike so we look like the toy boys on the block. were renting the place for now, but you gotta remember an apt. is temporary living, once you move out youll have nothing to show for all the money you spent.

Quick Reply: I Need a Freakin' House!