Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

I need to choose

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Default I need to choose

I'm sure there are a millions of threads like this , but mine is specifically different. I have had my eye on the 2008 Ninja 250R , its looks good gets good MPG and if i get one it will be BRAND NEW. I did some math at work and I will be making more money then I thought before fall. I'm scared will will out grow my 250R in no time at all. I honestly feel like the 250 is a toy compared to what's out there with 600 and liter bikes but i also feel like those bikes have a lot of power never practically used , seriously who goes 150+ every day. But when and if I get my ninja I dont want to me looked at as a puss or a jackass kid on a toy bike sure the thing has a little power but it cant up and leave anything like my Mustang or other bikes and I dont want to get blown over by a big rig. The 500R is 5K$ and Im starting to think that a 500cc bike is perfect for me. Power without over kill. But the damn ninja 500R is so ugly IMHO. The 250 beats the 500 on looks all day long and I dont want to buy a CBR or a Katana that much unless i find one super cheap and pampered. I hate the idea of a used bike because its usually someone else's problem getting dumped onto me.

How big of a jump is it from a Ninja 250 to a Ninja 500? My goal in owning a bike is to enjoy the beautiful outside world of Eastern Kentucky , to ride on warm sumer days on back roads , city , very very very little high way, to have a good MPG when i don't feel like driving my mustang and to enjoy the superb acceleration and sound of a sports bike. Taking in all this information what do you think I should get.

Im scared I will out grow the 250 simply put. How good is resale value?

Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I need to choose

hah, id like to give you some kickass advice but i dont know much bout' either of those bikes... im more of a zx10/14 kinda guy myself but if you think youll outgrow the 250, you proaiblly will. its a nice bike no dowbt, but not exactly a highway machine. my friend seth has an older 500 and it moves real good for something thats not really race/sport oriented like the 600 and 1000's. and, when youre on the bike you wont give a rats *** what it looks like, all your gonna see are your handle bars, gauges and windsheild. so if i were you id spend the bit of extra dough and go for the 500, simply for the fact that if you do get bored with the 250, most ppl buying them are like you and only want a commuter and are looking for something new.

as for the jump, id bet its not huge.. but definitly noticeable. and from what ive heard the mpg's arent that far appart.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you pretty much answered your own concerns SXGT

I like the ex series of rides and yes even the 08 model. They are not powerhouse material, but are comfy and fun. I'd sport either one personnally. Enjoy

Old 05-31-2008, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll chime in with an old school dirt biker's opinion.

Buy a cheap used 400 or so first, learn on it and crash on it......after 6 months you will be a MUCH better rider and really know what you want and sell the 400 for what you paid for it. Then buy a new bike of your choice.......just because I am old does not make me dumb.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Everyone says they will grow out of the 250, I dont really think thats possible, the 250 is a great ride and as you increase your skills you can unlock more and more of its potential. I would say that instead of growing out of your first bike, what really happens is that you grow into riding. You learn more things, you get more comfortable, you learn more about what your options are and how to really tell what you want in a bike, and you want to expand, not because your first ride was too small, but because riding is so huge. Sit on them both, see which one fits, and buy it, but excpect to sell in a year or so, because by then you will know what you really want.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Only reason I'd sell my 250 is to get something that looks nicer. Excelleration is great. Even though it's a 250 with 12k miles and an '02, it's a great bike! I just got my tire replaced, getting it this week, and it's had absolutely no problems with it.

I've always agreed with the "Buy a cheap bike first" mentality. I take good care of my Ninja, and still put it down once on some gravel in a driveway (first time, even after original 12k miles). I spent a couple hundred on upgrades I did myself, and $1700 to begin with, and it's a wonderful ride that looks great! Either get an older bike with a larger engine, or the new 250 if you can find one. The new 250 looks great. The old 250 still looks decent with some upgrades. Your resale value will be better on an older bike (lower percentage of loss), then you can keep your newer bike for longer and not worry about destroying it. That way you can keep it forever.

Otherwise, you could do what I'm doing now. I bought a Yamaha RT 100 dirt bike as a toss-around, and I'm just screwing around with it. It's running crappy, but who cares, I spent $300 on it. I'll just ride it until it dies and sell it, or rebuild it. Cheap way to get your knowledge in motorvehicles.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

what about the 650? have you looked at those?

Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

You could buy my buddie's '07 ZX6R... $7900 and 300 miles. He's afraid of it, I think. I don't think he put most of those miles on there.

http://montana.craigslist.org/mcy/696129591.html

Old 06-01-2008, 05:55 PM

I want to spend around 5K and under. Thank you all for the advice. I will make a trip out to my dealers soon.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 PM

I have decided I would prefer a used 650R over a new 500R. The 650R can still be a good starter bike and I dont think I will out grow it. I but I still need to test the 2008 250R out. I havent actually been on any of these bikes only a Honda XR100.