Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

I actually cancelled work today!

Old 12-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default I actually cancelled work today!

Yep that's right, in my 15 years here as the Maintenance Mechanic for the University of Washington, I called my boss and told him not to come in. LOL For real!!! What happened is last night it rained frozen rain, and it was getting colder and when I got up this morning my driveway was a solid sheet of 1/4 inch of ice! I took the truck to work, and half way up the hill I started to slide back down the hill. I had to head to the ditch and then I got on the lawn and made it the rest of the way to work.

Funny thing is , in my whole life I have never bought studded snow tires for any vehicle ever, but last week when I was in Port Angeles picking up a new furnace for work, I dropped off the stock wheels for the 2002 Camry that we have and had studded tired mounted on them. $550.00 mounted and balanced!!! I asked the guy at Les Schwab and I quote.."what happened to $40.00 snow tires?" He laughed and said that was 25 years ago.

Well anyway yesterday morning I woke up and it was snowing, so I zipped up to work and threw on the new tires and then today happened, so before I was wondering if it was a good investment, and this morning I cashed in on that investment. Now I need to find some weight to throw in my truck so I have a fighting chance of getting up and down the hill.

The wife was the one who pushed for the tires on her car, and as you all know she won...

Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh P.S. I'm actually at work, what I meant is that I cancelled work for everyone else, which this morning is only 1 person anyway. My boss is headed to his Port Commissioner meeting in Port Angeles, and the rest of the staff except one is out today anyway, but I still get credit for the decision...

Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn Deej, why didn't you just throw some snow chains on your KLX! Or get some of those spiked ice racer tires! But I was finding it hard to beleive that you actually missed work!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I have a furnace to install, I never catch a break. LOL

Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej doin work!!!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

That's why you make the big bucks, buddy!!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Tru Dat LOL

Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej is the Ninja Master of all things mechanical that could ever exist in a University! He can just lay hands on things and they start working, like a majic spell has been cast from above. He can hollistically repair things that others can only dream of repairing.
The true Zin Master wrench spinner! Now if he could just figure out how to get up a hill with a little ice on it:

Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea no kidding, I might have to invest in one of these bad boys.

Looks like it would float too, and with 140 inches of rain a year that would be a dual sport machine here.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

So, whats it like driving in snow? They shut the infrastructure down here if it is too cold or snows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I actually cancelled work today!