Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

helppp kx 250

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation helppp kx 250

hey i want to purchase my first own 2 stroke and i would like to know a few things first..
the bike i am looking at is a kx 250 and its a 2001. should i look for a newer year or is it fine the year it is?
the bike comes with -Bike wuz sent to pro circuit in california. There plastic package and exhaust, suspension front and rear, and motor work. i still have all the new plastics. It has a boysen rad valve (reeds).
i just want to make sure this is a good bike i will get a mechanic look on it to make sure its in good running condition
also, when i purchase my bike.. what are some of the things that i have to stay on top of? like how to take care of the bike.. bcuz im a 4 stroke rider.. and i know they are ALOT more fragile then a 4 stroke thats for sure..
also 2 strokes brake down often is that correct?

Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome To Kawasaki Forums.
Turn On Some Tunes And Enjoy The Ride.
They're a lot of Good Members Here and they will do there Best to Help You out with Your Questions. Sometimes It Takes A Little Longer Then Others. So, hang-in there.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

ok, ive been through more 2strokes than years ive been alive

i can help you.

first off, if its maintained properly and parts are swapped when required, the year is no obstacle for a 2smoker. however its crucial that all the little stuff was taken care of , check and make sure the raidaitor is full, chain is lubed, plug isnt garbage, gas ratios were good, gear oil is good, air filter isnt full of wet cake mix. if more than a few of those are no good, ditch the bike... a good 2stroke comes from a good owner.

the fact that it was sent to pro circut to be modded is very unlikely, it probabilly has pro circut parts (great stuff btw) but i highly dowbt procircut techs installed them, if that is the case, ask for recipts.

2strokes only break alot if you let them. granted you have to replace the top end every once and a while (varies with rider, style, gas, terrarin, matinence etc.) so theres no solid gaurenteed time like a 3000mile oil change, but thats also an easy job for anyone with a bit of time behind a wrench. so if youre not a lazy/reckless person youll be fine. worst case senario, your climate changes alot and you have to start carrying a few extra spark plugs with you when riding.

theres only a few things you have to watch. make sure you check your radiator fluid alot, most 2strokes have a habit of going through that quick. youre also gonna have to mix your gas and oil, make sure you get the ratio correct (they tell you on the bottle, its usuailly a container to gallon ratio) and mix it good (shake the tank before pouring) skipping that, or doing it lazily will end your bike... no questions asked. other than that theres not to much required. keep you air filter clean and keep your chain lubed and at proper tension is really all.

also, i did this just as a precaution, but it works good. add a cap full of carb cleaner to every 12th tank of gas, i never had to clean my carb.

hopefully the bike is in good shape and you get it because even though theyre a bit pricier and higher maintenance, the power gain is incredible. i bought a kx125 when my xr283 died... i now have a cr250 and im not going back

Old 11-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the help bro, he told me the bike was sent to pro circuit in california.. i dont know how much truth behind of it is..
but its a 2001.. i shouldnt be worryied to much about the year if the parts are good your saying? and i appreciate the help big time
lol cant wait till i hop on the 250!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah, i had an 86 cr250 that ran way better than most of the other bikes ive owned, its all in the maintenance. and even if it wasnt sent to pro circut their parts are still real good and it its loaded with their stuff youre more than likely gonna have a good running bike.

when you go to look at it check for oil/gunk build up around the spark plug and the exhaust mount on the cylinder. check the plug itself, the air filter, the crank oil level and the raidaitor fluid level. check what gas ratio he used, he should say something near 32:1... 20:1 means he rode it light and probabilly went through alot of plugs and youll more than likely have to clean the carb soon. 40:1 means he beat the ***** off it and its probabilly not running so good.... dont buy it. 28:1-38:1 is safe and what you want him to say, less is a bit of work but safe, more is bad.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hey now, I used 34-36:1 on my 84 CR480 at sea level with good results. The 77 MX 400 does well with a 40:1 mix of yamilube at sea level as well. I tried a leaner mix on the Honda, but it did not like it. Guess what I am saying is that each ride is going to be different and a good plug reading and compression check along the initial inspection is all it takes as mentioned above.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

true, but the cr480 and the mx400 arent exactly common bikes either, with newer 250's most stuff is baseline... gas ratio, tire size, sprocket size etc... every major make has its own version of perfect and theyre all pretty close