Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

HEADLIGHT and Shutting off probem.. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:39 AM
Default HEADLIGHT and Shutting off probem.. please help!

i have a problem.... my headlight only comes on at random times... but the catch is when it does come on the bike dies and leaves me stranded.... and when the headlight doesnt work it will run all day.. the parking lights all work, but the headlight is the only one that will come on and off at random times.... i know it should be on at all times, but when its on it drains my bike and makes it stall.. please help me. thank you

Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HEADLIGHT and Shutting off probem.. please help!

all i can think of is bad fuses/chitty wiring. check your fuses, see if any of them are pennies[8D]

Old 07-04-2008, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you familiar with electrical circuits? If so, get a digital volt meter, and a schematic of your bikes wiring, and start trouble shooting. If you are not an electrical person, you will have very little chance of fixing this problem. In order to troubleshoot circuits, you must be able to check voltages, resistances, open and close status of switches etc. This sounds like a short in your main wiring bundle, or in the bundles that go to your handlebar controls.
I do not like to discourage people from self repair but if you are not anelectrical type person, this one could be a night mare. I am an electrical engineer and I even hate trouble shooting those kinds of problems. Intermittant wiring problems suck to trouble shoot and some people do damage to the wiring system without the proper skills to tackle this kind of problem.
Take it to the shop! Unless you are good at electrical trouble shooting techniques.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm an electrical engineer. i can help ya thru this...

sounds like a dead short in the wiring..

probably getting pinched in the stop that limits how far you can turn the handlebars..

if not, its gotta be somewhere between the fuse and light, obviously.

if the fues ISN'T bowing, then stangely it may not be pulling enough power to actually blow it, and theres a "light" (high resistance) short..
no pun instended..

usuallu the stalling is 2 things.. when the short occurs, A. the stator sees a mechanical load that cannot be overcome by the engine..
or..

B. the short drains all the power away from engine management and therefore you're left with no power for spark and whatnot.

but, pretty much like KX and worlok said.. start lookin at your wiring..

and like i said.. i'll step ya thu if you have no prior electical toubleshooting experience.. bikes can be confusing and intimidating to work on, but they're just like anything else on the road..

welcome to KF