Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
HD-DVD
25.00%
Blue Ray
75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

HD-DVD vs Blue Ray

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HD-DVD vs Blue Ray

Got good deals on HD-DVD, but Blu-Ray FTW. I liked Blu-Ray first, but then switched to HD-DVD after the Toshiba Rep's demo. Sony rep was a tard and didn't convince me to go Blu-Ray. I like the HD-DVD design better, but Blu-Ray has won.

zzrick, go Samsung all-the-way! I would never buy an LG. I'm waiting to have some money before I get the Samsung, instead of paying for an LG now. Looking at an LN-T4065F. We're selling them for $1350 (shipped free, if you want). Looked at Wal-Mart's price, and one of their 32" models was a step down from what we had, and they charge $30 more for it.

As far as what we carry, the Mitsubishi is the worst LCD we have. Looks blotchy. Hitachi is next worst, and LG is above that. Pioneer Elite (plasma) is the best we carry, and it's awesome! Samsung and Sony are just below that. Panasonic has a nice plasma, and Toshiba is decent.

Right now I could get you a 61" Panasonic rear-pro for $1000 shipped. We're doing those and the 50" LIFI rear-pros for $1000 through a spot-buy. Rear-pro is phasing-out by 2010, and Sony doesn't produce them anymore. I'd expect them to phase-out by next year.

Got to watch the Super Bowl on a 135" Stewart Nighthawk screen and InFocus projector of a coworker's house. Played some pool and foosball beforehand. That was sweet!

Let me know if you need any help looking up a TV or home theater. I just work in the warehouse and delivery, so I don't make commission anyway. I try to keep current with our deals. Free shipping is nice, too.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben_cline

Free shipping is nice, too.
are you going to drive all the way from montana? lol j/k

Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

i'm a fan ofsamsung dlp personally - my 62" has been great to me.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

bluray won hahahahaha suckers lol, i guess i picked the right one then. now, to start building the colection

Old 02-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yup sony and the blue ray is the way
ORIGINAL: sup_uni

bluray won hahahahaha suckers lol, i guess i picked the right one then. now, to start building the colection

Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually - you didn't pick the right one. All the early adopters of BR are going to be screwed in about 3 to 6 months when the next revision is released actually... because it will require yet another format change. In the end - this means that pre-recorded media that is pressed about 9 mos to a year from now in the new format will NOT play in the old format player. You will need to purchase a new player.

The 73in Mitsubishi DLP is probably the best looking model on the market... absolutely stunning picture - looking just a tad less than LCD. Ben - if you are getting blotchiness that bad on some of the models you indicated - then you should take a look at your source deck or material, or your distribution amp - even the best ones introduce a lot of noise on the signal.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: srobak

Ben - if you are getting blotchiness that bad on some of the models you indicated - then you should take a look at your source deck or material, or your distribution amp - even the best ones introduce a lot of noise on the signal.
Out of ~ 50 televisions, the Mitsubishi is the only one that does it. The Pioneer Elite and Panasonic TH50PZ7-- (700, 77, whichever) that sat there recently had perfect pictures.

Our wall-mounted televisions usually don't stay for more than 6 months. None that I can remember being there for more than a year, since new models come out all the time. The rest are there from as little as two days to four months, depending on how much we need them or need to get rid of them. TVs get sold or rearranged every week. Hard to believe how many open box models we have. I'd say we still have 6-10 we need to push out to the floor at our store. None of the salesmen really care what comes back, but we have to deal with the crap. Like the $1200 Asko dishwasher sitting in bubble wrap because the lady didn't like the look after the installers hooked it up. Or the three 36-48" SubZ and Thermador fridges sitting in our warehouse, open.