Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Gas Prices Force Mole to Convert Bike to Street Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Gas Prices Force Mole to Convert Bike to Street Mode

DOn't worry, I plan on getting a frame for the 250F motor.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 04-30-2008, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I did my commute with the newly installed stocksprockets today, 16 tooth front and 42 tooth rear.....the motor would spin about 6.3k rpms at 80 mph.....which is my commute speed. The indicated redline is only 8.5k rpms

I'm thinkin a 17 front would be better...opines. Bike is a five speed if that matters. This thumper vibrates a lot at 6+k rpms..... I need a comphy 80 mph cruise.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:22 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Finger, based on the numbers you posted, I think you need a final drive ratio of about 2.33 to be in the ballpark of 5500 RPM at 80 MPH. You could get this with an 18:42 17:39 or similar. Not sure what sprockets are available for the ADV, but I think a final drive of 2.33 will do it for you. I have no idea what that will do to your 1st gear, though. Could be like starting off in 3rd now.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to try a 17 up front....but the 18 has my interest peaked....not sure if it will fit. Thanks for thinking out of the box NB. The adv is geared low in first so I could really push the sprockets for the overdrive effect and still have low speed control.....hmmmmm....lol.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:57 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

If they make a 39 rear, you could do that with the 17 up front. 17:42 would give you approx 5900 RPM at 80. I think. That meets your goal for below 6k, but just barely.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Let me do some shopping, I want to keep my new chain if possible..........a 40 rear and 17 front wouldrequire removing a link... I think. hmmmmm. I'll keep ya posted. But the 17/42 combo may be the trick.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Finger, not to be a nay sayer, but did you consider possibly getting an older street bike, i ride a ninja 250 for gas purposes and i get around 55-62mpg depending on how i ride. but i find that sometimes i do not have enough power left over. what i mean by this is that when i am rideing at 80mph sometimes i need to accelerate fast to get out of a situation and i can usually pull it off on my bike but you mentioned that you were close to redline, and with you living in south florida you might get stuck in unpleasant situations (idiot tail gaters, cutoffs and people changing lanes into you.) more than i do here in jax. just a thought.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Talca, I hear ya about S. Florida, but even with my current gears I got plenty of azz to accelerate out of a situation. At 80 mph I'm spinning 6.3k rpm....my redlline is not till 8.5k....that's got to be a good bit over 100 mph.

This thumper is going to be my street ride, you can only do so much with a mole I think the 17 tooth counter sprocket is going to work fine for me.

Just need to get the VibbbBrrratttions down. lol

Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've heard the ADVs are a bit viby. Seems to be in their nature. You can say what you want about KTMs, but one thing is for sure, they have "character". My 450 EXC which uses the RFS engine sounds like a bag full of hammers falling down a steel spiral staircase. But I love it!!!

Gas prices keep going the way they are, I may pick up a commuter bike of some type. I've ridden my EXC to work, only 15 miles each way, but I'm not too keen on all the oil changes that would entail on using the racing engine as a commuter. I good used ADV would suit me well. I'd love a Husky TE610 too. I could probably make a bike payment for what the monthly gasoline bill is for my F-one-fiddy.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Get the 640 adv ....It don't VvvibbBbee much. Actually I luv the basturd, a 610 is just different...apples and oranges.

Maybe a 950 adv is better for you.

btw....gas will be Waaaay over $4/gal this summer.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices Force Mole to Convert Bike to Street Mode