Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Furnaces are a lot like motorcycles. *UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Furnaces are a lot like motorcycles. *UPDATE*

Hahaha yea you know we always talk on here about our bikes running lean and rich, well these new efficient 90+ furnaces have zero tolerances for anything going wrong. The filters need to be clean, and the drains need to be draining all the time. Propane and natural gas furnaces produce a lot of moisture. if you have ever slept in a travel trailer with a gas furnace you know what I am talking about. That along with the fact that the roof exhausts had no water straight in diversion can really cause problems. We get 120 inches of rain a year here, for the life of me I don't know why the furnace installer didn't at least put a 90 on the roof pointing away from the south where we get 90% of the rain/wind. So in the last month I have had two heat exchangers fail after 14 years both in the same month. Over time with water, dust over water (which turns to mud) and the amount of rain water really takes a toll. So now it is even more important to make sure that the air coming in and the exhaust going out is up to brand new specs. And to make sure that the condensate traps are flowing like they should be. Looks like less posting and more actual maintenance is in order. Fortunately since our budget is shot, the director sent an e-mail to the right people at the university and asked for some emergency funds to pay for these two furnaces. $3500 each YIKES!!! They approved the money today. That's good.

Here are a few pics of what I have been up to lately. It's certainly a wake up call to really tighten my procedures and keep these things clean.

Name:  IMG00448.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  83.5 KB

That's the furnace sitting in my shop, well its all apart now.

This is where it was.....

Name:  IMG00450.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  59.5 KB

Here is the heat exchanger where the exhaust is supposed to get out, and as you can see the exhaust was not getting out so it backs up in the furnace and either causes the roll out switch to shut the furnace down or it cracks the heat tubes...or both as you will see in the following pics.

Name:  IMG00455.jpg
Size:  65.4 KB

What you see there is over time, water along with dust that turns the exchanger into a sludge factory.

Heat tubes before I took them out. and no you can't even buy a new heat exchanger, they won't even talk about it. Its like the emissions on a car, try buying one small part and see what you run into.
Name:  IMG00447.jpg
Size:  65.7 KB

If you look real close you can see the crack, this picture shows it better.
Name:  IMG00446.jpg
Size:  53.3 KB

I had one of these Carbon Monoxide detectors with me in one of the apartments that the furnace feeds, and the numbers jumped up to 200 real fast. Its a good thing we had nobody staying with us right now, otherwise they might have become real sick of worse.

Name:  IMG00461.jpg
Size:  69.7 KB

And thus ends another ride-less report by deej.

Last edited by deej; 05-19-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

deej doing work?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

oh yeah i don't know about washington but here in cali they don't sell kids bikes or parts for them anymore cuz of the stupid goverment. so the 125 would be your best bet.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Another example of the "Man" trying to keep us down....

Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yup. you can get aftermarket parts but OEM.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

So Deej...Did you JB it?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

JB weld? LOL riiiiiiiiight Nope, you can't even get all the gaskets to put this thing back together. And you can't even buy a whole heat exchanger, there should be a sticker on the furnace that reads there are no serviceable parts inside. I can change inducer motors, control boards, fans and gas valves all day, but once you take the thing apart down to the heat exchanger, it just became a parts donor. The good news is that I just gained about $800.00 in parts that I can use on the other 9 furnaces that I have here at work.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

So Deejer, are you going to replace the useless furnace with the same brand?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Its not the fault of the furnace. Would it be your bike's fault if you didn't take care of it properly? The furnaces are great units..."huh huh huh he said unit." these are 14 years old, and I need to step up my maintenance program a little that's all.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Furnace?

What do you use that for? Is it some kind of smoker? How do you keep it from getting your indoor space warm?

Quick Reply: Furnaces are a lot like motorcycles. *UPDATE*