Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Front Tire Dillema

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Front Tire Dillema

Ok... I really don't know what to get for a front. It is pretty well done after my recent 1500 mile 4th of July trip. The 98 ZX9 is a heavy beast at 473 dry.

When I got it - it had Metz M1's on front and rear. It never felt confident to me, and even slipped a couple of times - from what I thought was the front. I burned up the rear earlier this year and replaced it with a Dunlop D220 and it was a whole new world. The ride was 10x smoother and oddly enough - 10x more confident. The D220 is a sport-touring which you commonly find as OEM for the FJR1300 and the ST1300. I have taken it clear to the edges and at very high speed, and it has never once felt like it was in trouble. As hard as I push it around the tightest curves - it keeps right on going. This is where things get funny - because I swore it was the front M1 that stepped out on me a couple times before, but it hasn't once since I got the new rear, and I have pushed it way farther than I ever did when both front and rear were M1s.

Ride quality has taken a major upswing... much smoother and easier for me - not nearly so jarring, and far more comfortable. On that alone, I am sold on the D220 rear for quite some time to come.

My problem lies with the front. The D220 front tread pattern is awful. The FJR and ST forums say to avoid this tire because it just does not handle well. Apparently the sidewalls are a bit too flexible and it affects hard cornering pretty bad. I am half considering just to get another M1 since this combination is working really well right now. Everyone is saying to get the Qualifier or the Continental Sport Attack - but these are people who ride a lot differently than me and have bikes which are nearly 100lbs lighter, not to mention that are a good 75 lbs lighter than me...

Now here is what is important - living in Chicagoland - unfortunately the majority of the roads are disgustingly straight and boring. So - in that respect I need something that is going to last a while when running down the center inch of the tire. Also in that regard - the ride needs to be somewhat smooth. Preferably no harder of a ride than what I am experiencing now. A supersport/puresport tire is not going to provide that... yet this M1 when combined with the D220 is providing an awesome ride.

By the same token - my weekend rides are out about an hour on the highway to get to some fun and curvy roads - and like I said earlier - I am taking it as far as the rubber allows... so I also need a tire that can hang really well in hard cornering without talking track-day style.

Obviously I think I am looking for a sport/touring tire and not so much a pure-sport tire... but the question is which one? I have been considering the Continental Road Attack and the Metz ME Z4... but I really am worried about not being happy with either the ride quality or the cornering ability if I stray from the M1. These two things are pretty crucial to me - the 9 is the weight of a tank and combined with my weight - if the front ever were to slide out - recovery would be virtually impossible. The St1300 forums say that both the Z4 and the Z6 combined with the D220 is great for cornering... but they don't make any comments about ride quality.

Yes, I am referring to ST and FJR forums a little because I think those are a little closer to the 9's weight class, and also how they are ridden is closer to how I ride - so I think it is a good resource to a degree. Since their suspension setup is a bit different however - that is where I have more question.

Any suggestions? I know the general consensus from the puresport enthusiasts here is never to mix n match tires - but that is a bit of an old wives tale - and I have done it since I first started riding and never had any troubles. If anything - in the case of mixing the M1 front and the D220 rear - I came up with a far better combination than going with both of either. Also - I do not ride this like most of the puresport enthusiasts do... *****-out, WOT from stop all the time and track days every other weekend.

Looking for input.

Gracias.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:39 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Front Tire Dillema

Sounds like you like the M1. Maybe you should stick with it? I can say this, don't get pilot powers. They wont last as long. The front you might get about 10-12k out of it. The rear wont see more then 7k.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Battleaxe is kind of a crappy tire too. I put qualifiers on mine this spring and they are far better than my old dunlops. These are sport tires though so...if you like the setup you have had why change? Just get a new M1.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

to me i want the best tire i can have to ride on for performance b/c the tire is the only thing keeping me on the road. even when i commute i want a good tire. I run pilot powers. I trust them in about everycondition u can think off. they might not get as long of tread wear or ride as nice as the dunlop, but when i need to tire to stick b/c i went into a turn too hot or someone pulled out infront of me, i want a high performance tire i can trust. my 7 weighs 500lbs+

Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

where is all the additional weight coming from?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

the bike hasn't been changed since 96. its like 450 dryand wet is alot more.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

i just picked up the Continentals, but im not much help. i probably wont have them put on untill next week.

not to hi-jack your thread but how many people run nitrogen in there tires insted of regular air?

Old 07-13-2007, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Try the M3. My ZRX weighs like 540 wet. I'm on my 2nd set of M3's. I got 6500 from the rear. I change my tires
in pairs so I don't know what I would get from the front.

The majority of my riding is comuting to and from work. Some twisty riding. Well as much as I have in S.W. Florida.
I get to N. Ga. twice a year, but that's only a total of 2k miles on my tires.