Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Friday the 13th thought

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Friday the 13th thought

Since it IS Friday the 13th, here's a short article regarding helmet history and statistics.
Just in case you decide to tempt the fates (yes; plural) by jumping on your bike today with a naked head....
DON'T do it.
The History of Motorcycle Helmets

Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it up.

Have you seen any stats on helmet effectiveness improvement with a Snell rating over DOT? I'm currently using a fairly inexpensive AFX FX-39 dual sport helmet with DOT rating (cost about $125). The Snell DS helmets run about 4 to 5 times that amount and I can only find that Arai meets the Snell M2010 standard. I like the AFX, but am thinking its time to get a little better protection.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 09-13-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

The best of both worlds

Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey, ID. I've seen a couple studies which indicate that the TYPE of impact makes a huge difference in the effectiveness of a helmet; i.e. "point source" impact versus "blunt object." My own gut tells me probably 75% of helmet-involved events are of the blunt-object or "scraping" (against the road/concrete, etc.) variety. You're riding down the highway, have a get-off at 50-60-70 mph, bang your head on the tarmac and potentially slide/grind against an abrasive surface. I think the majority of DOT-approved helmets would suffice (using the tried-and-true styrofoam liner with outer shell of hard plastic-lexan/carbon/or other tough plastic resin.) As for "point-source" impact, each (real world) event is so unique with regard to physics involved, the standard "drop from 3 feet against a metal chisel" is kinda superfluous (IMHO.) Is the impact straight-on? Glancing? Head-only or is your body weight behind it, too? (F=MA.) Putting a bowling ball or pumpkin inside a test helmet and dropping it 3 feet (6 feet? Whatever) against a pointy rod only tests that particular 2 sq inch spot at that specific angle on THAT specific helmet with THAT specific mass/acceleration on that specific day. We can't infer (false logic) that ANYWHERE else with any other helmet, at ANY OTHER set of variables will have the exact same result (specifically with regard to point-source impact).
Overall, I personally feel like there's a cost/benefit ratio involved. Will a $600 dollar helmet protect you any better than a $200 helmet; both DOT and/or Snell rated? Much depends on your riding style/risk style/hazard level/experience/....and ALSO the variable none of us can control: WRONG PLACE WRONG TIME. I wouldn't automatically assume a high-zoot, big ticket, DOT/Snell/ABC titanium/carbon fibre helmet will save your punkin any better than the $200 hat from Tractor Supply......especially if you ride at redline. Helmet manufacturers may WANT us to believe that (so they can sell big ticket hats) but again; IMHO, anything above the 60-75% typical get-off against a blunt-scraping surface........each statistic is unique.
I don't claim to be any expert on the subject, though. Anybody else care to weigh-in??

Last edited by jeffzx9; 09-13-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, since most if not all tracks that I have played on, the Snell standard is needed. I am due for new helmets again. Lovely

Old 10-22-2013, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw an interesting article on this somewhere. I'll look for it and try to post it on here as soon as I do. It compared all safety ratings; DOT, Snell and ECE I believe.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't most helmets have both ratings these days anyway?

Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I am due for a new helmet, found a pretty good deal on new Arai at a local shop here, but it is the same price for the new rf1200 by shoei so i am not sure what to get, maybe i will get one like these guys, looks pretty safe...

Last edited by Talca; 10-23-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

"...or they cast an evil spell on the helmet, causing the wearer to lose consciousness, so they can be easily robbed."

(In my best Butthead voice): Uhhhh........

Quick Reply: Friday the 13th thought