Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Favorite Dog!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Favorite Dog!

personaly I love Akita's. Way back in history in japan they used to use akitas to hunt bears.

and I really like english bull dogs also. Bull dogs were breed to be used in bull and bear baiting, a wagering sport popular in the 17th century in which trained bulldogs leapt at a bull or bear lashed to a post, latched onto its snout and attempted to suffocate it.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Black mouth curs are awsome hunters.......

Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Irish Setters are my favorite by far.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I love these dogs, the breed is called a Rhodesian Ridgeback, they are originally from Zimbabwe and were used in packs to hunt game, and as guard dogs they would drive away lions and at night. That is a dog with some *****.

The Rhodesian Ridgeback traces its origins to crossbreeding between the Hottentot tribal hunting dogs of South Africa and various European breeds, including the Mastiff, Bloodhound, Pointer and Greyhound. During the 18th century, Boer farmers needed a hardy guardian dog that was capable of serving in a myriad of tasks, all while braving the wilds of Africa. Selective breeding of well domesticated European breeds with the somewhat more wild Hottentot dogs produced just such a breed, and by the 19th century the Rhodesian Ridgeback had become a fixture in South Africa. During the 1870s, a contingent of these dogs was brought to Rhodesia to hunt lions, and their great success in this task earned them the name African Lion Hound and causede them to forever be associated with Rhodesia.

This impressive, protective hound could hunt game, retrieve, take care of children, and guard property. South African hunters discovered that the Ridgeback, used in packs, was very effective against lions, hence the breed's other name, the African Lion Hound. The Rhodesian Ridgeback is well adapted to the harsh African environment. He can withstand very high temperatures and the damp cold of night. It is insensitive to insect bites and can go without food and water for over 24 hours. The breed was recognized by the AKC in 1959. Its country of origin is Zimbabwe.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

My roomate in Korea has a Rodeshian Ridgeback. (sp) I have a Half Golden Retriever, half Chow. His name is Gabriel

Old 03-22-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

haha vic, if i were your roomate i'd of named that dog squinty

and i almost bought an akita over the summer, but it got put off due to court crap. it was alomst 3months old and it felt like holding a big bag of sand with really thick legs... the weird part, the breeder guy called it "skinny"[8D] sadly, a purebred goes for around $1400 theyre really fuzzy to, like a pillow that bites you[8D]

Old 03-22-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

The dog in the picture that I posted is mine. My roomate in Korea has a dog like the one Rick posted about.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I love Rhodesian Ridgebacks alot of people think my dog is a mix of them... they are very similar, ridge backs are cool cause of the hair down the middle of thier back that grows the opposite way, hence the ridgeback. awsome dogs.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rocketrotary

The dog in the picture that I posted is mine. My roomate in Korea has a dog like the one Rick posted about.
oh, then you should rename it squinty

Old 03-23-2008, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

I love Rhodesian Ridgebacks alot of people think my dog is a mix of them... they are very similar, ridge backs are cool cause of the hair down the middle of thier back that grows the opposite way, hence the ridgeback. awsome dogs.
I agree, they are awesome dogs, My yellow lab thinks he could hunt lions

Quick Reply: Favorite Dog!