Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

don't be denied health coverage because you ride a motorcycle!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default don't be denied health coverage because you ride a motorcycle!

For those of us who enjoy two wheels:

More than 100 members of the U.S. House of Representatives have co-sponsored a bill that would end health insurance discrimination against motorcyclists and others who participate in legal recreational activities or use their motorcycles for transportation.

The loophole inthe old law allows health insurance companies to deny coverage if you are injured while participatingin using a motorcycle, dirtbike, atv, etc.

While the action is significant, there is still much work to be done, according to AMA Vice President for Government Relations Edward Moreland. TAKE ACTION NOW. You can easily contact your U.S. Representative on this issue through the AMA Rapid Response Center:

http://tinyurl.com/2nxass

"The AMA is calling on motorcyclists and others who face health insurance discrimination to urge their U.S. Representatives to support H.R. 1076, known as the HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act," said Moreland. "Time is short. The bill has broad bi-partisan support but we need 218 votes for passage. If we don’t act by April, we will likely miss our chance for legislative action in 2008."

Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: don't be denied health coverage because you ride a motorcycle!

wow, thats bullsh!t. i'd be INSANELY pissed if i were do some serious damage on any of my toys and were denied coverage id kill someone... providing i wasnt paralyised.

no reason this should'nt pass other than corrupt congressmen (not that they exist[:@])

Old 02-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats messed up... i sent a msg.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Not surprising.Stupid...but not surprising.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kx slaughter king

wow, thats bullsh!t. i'd be INSANELY pissed if i were do some serious damage on any of my toys and were denied coverage id kill someone... providing i wasnt paralyised.
That situation should be covered under your motorcycle insurance anyhow - which is property & other people's health coverage, and to a point - personal health coverage.

For what it is worth - none of my jobs included health care plans have ever discriminated, questioned, nor had clauses in them regarding coverage while riding a motorcycle - or jumping out of an airplane for that matter. Most of your major healthcare plans do not actually have this limitation. Read the fine print - if your plan does have an exclusion, then you are well within your rights to find another plan - until this mess gets worked out.

Personally - I think it is crazy that an activity which kills fewer people in the entire country in a year gets any discrimination versus an activity that kills more people in just one state in a year. That activity is Drunk Driving. If anything - THAT activity is the one that should not coverage for the person doing the activity.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Personally - I think it is crazy that an activity which kills fewer people in the entire country in a year gets any discrimination versus an activity that kills more people in just one state in a year. That activity is Drunk Driving. If anything - THAT activity is the one that should not coverage for the person doing the activity.
+1
plus most motorcycle accidents are caused by not the biker himself, but another motorist... cagers..? and idiots... squids..? to denniy regular honest joes coverage, legally is bullsh!t

and sro, its not in the fine print, the law is that the company can just say well you were on a motorcycle (or dirtbike/quad) so we dont have to pay for your bills. sorry, better luck next time. and have nothing happen to them

Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

If we were smart, and could afford it, we would all just save our money in a medical fund instead of paying premiums and drive insurance companies out of business! Of course we are not all that smart or rich, dammit.

Worlok14

Old 02-13-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

haha. yeah, hit one ***** with a good lawyer and you can kiss everything you have/do/will own goodbye forever.
how do ya think whiplash was invented?[:@]

Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

insurance companies were practicly invented because of lawyers.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Sent. Join the AMA if you haven't. They look out for our rights w/regard to stuff like this.