Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

DFW area riders beware!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

That pisses me off just reading your story. I am glad you are allright!!

Here is a question for Sro

If speed was packing a pistol and shot him on sight after all this took place what would the legal ramifications be? Or would there even be any?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Umm....I'll guess that he would be charged with murder or manslaughter. Maybe not though, as long as the response was equal to the threat...

Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Merdox
If speed was packing a pistol and shot him on sight after all this took place what would the legal ramifications be? Or would there even be any?
i dont think there should be... but i bet there would be, e****aly the way the copd additudes sound in the story.

Originally Posted by Kohburn
put the bad guys away, don't become one.

not my route, not to put your thoughts down... i just dont trust the legal system that much. one technicality and hes out free, and if you do anything after that, youre the one facing time. if someone steals something of yours or breaks something... then yeah, let authorities handle it... but when they try to run me over, thats not something im just gonna let go. regardless of what ""level"" im on

(ps. not picking a fight of trying to start ****, just stating my opinion.)

Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kx slaughter king
not my route, not to put your thoughts down... i just dont trust the legal system that much. one technicality and hes out free, and if you do anything after that, youre the one facing time. if someone steals something of yours or breaks something... then yeah, let authorities handle it... but when they try to run me over, thats not something im just gonna let go. regardless of what ""level"" im on

(ps. not picking a fight of trying to start ****, just stating my opinion.)
you are free to have your opinion, just realize that that attitude may get you killed one day. (or just locked away for 20 years for murder/attempted murder. or even worse you could mess with the car and it could swerve out of control killing innocent people in another car, ont he side of the road, or innocent passengers)

Last edited by Kohburn; 08-14-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I think he would certainly be charged, as the police and PA would likely say he could have altered his route vs. actively engaging the other guy. BUT - Texas is also known to be pretty lean on people protecting themselves. If he were on foot, or stuck in traffic or an intersection or something where he didn't have an "easy out", then it would be more likely to be viewed as self defense, I would think.

Now - my point wasn't to whip out the gun and start blasting - but to wear it openly as a visual deterrent. Reaching for it, or displaying it is also an option - one I had experience with on 3 different occasions as a civilian. Displayed it once (not pointing), and simply reached for it in it's concealed location twice, and all 3 times the situation diffused itself.

Legal CCWers don't WANT to shoot anyone - understand that much... just want the danger removed. 9 times out of 10 in a situation like that, the introduction of a weapon into the mix results in a solved problem, and not a single shot fired. This is a good thing. Sad but true - an armed community is a polite community.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll tell you what, that would be worth going to jail over and with any luck, the guy would never do that to another biker. The legal system is basically useless until a hard crime has been committed. So even though this idiot almost kills a biker by a deliberate action, there is very little that they can or will do to him. And at the most, it would be a hand slap which those kind of guys normally laugh off.
Even in modern times, I feel that there are times that you have got to take up for yourself. I am never going to just lay down and let some idiot like that get away with trying to take my life.
I do not believe in starting trouble but I sure as hell will end it. And if I go to jail, I'll bail my *** out and be proud that I might have saved another bikers life by teaching that A$$hole a lesson.
And furthermore I would not take this guys life for an incedent that didn't hurt me, but I would make sure he remembered it the next time he had the urge to run another biker off the road.
So you guys can wait on the cops if you want, but I will not waste my time on a system that cannot work.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by srobak
I think he would certainly be charged, as the police and PA would likely say he could have altered his route vs. actively engaging the other guy. BUT - Texas is also known to be pretty lean on people protecting themselves. If he were on foot, or stuck in traffic or an intersection or something where he didn't have an "easy out", then it would be more likely to be viewed as self defense, I would think.

Now - my point wasn't to whip out the gun and start blasting - but to wear it openly as a visual deterrent. Reaching for it, or displaying it is also an option - one I had experience with on 3 different occasions as a civilian. Displayed it once (not pointing), and simply reached for it in it's concealed location twice, and all 3 times the situation diffused itself.

Legal CCWers don't WANT to shoot anyone - understand that much... just want the danger removed. 9 times out of 10 in a situation like that, the introduction of a weapon into the mix results in a solved problem, and not a single shot fired. This is a good thing. Sad but true - an armed community is a polite community.
The reason I ask is if someone trys to run over a cop with there vehicle and the cop shoots that person it is self defense. Granted the cop is on foot outside his cruiser. I was just wondering how that would compare to the civilian side of things.

As to worlock you have to admit that speed is getting jerked around on this deal. Now I am not saying our judicial system is perfect, not by any means! However if speed can get a good detective who doesn't have a personal gripe about motorcycles then I can see things working out for the best.

thats just my .02

Old 08-15-2008, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Merdox I really hope that the police help him, but I am willing to bet they dont. The three words you used does not instill optimism for me:

IF............good..........detective

Speed deserves to be helped with the wrong that has been done, and I hope the police for once, does something about it.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmm.. all interesting points to read.
i like KX's approach, since i don't trust cops or like legal ANYTHING.
but, i like sro's approach since.. he's right..lol

i can see the same thing from multiple viewpoints.. can see the good and bad in both.. initially, i'd be pissed enough to give that dude a columbian necktie if I was Mr. Speedracer.

BUT, thats me.. just so yas know, i probably would have revisted said offencive driver later that day or week, but wouldn't have made it physical.. unless he started something first! lol

hard call tho.. a .40 on your hip would be a wicked advertisement, and people, if they see it, would probably be less inclined to test you..

Old 08-15-2008, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whitehendrix
i like KX's approach, since i don't trust cops or like legal ANYTHING.
haha, when i wrote that i was thinking "this is gonna **** alot of ppl off... but at least wh will be on the same track i dunno how i knew that... but i did

Quick Reply: DFW area riders beware!