Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

DEALS GAP WTF

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: DEALS GAP WTF

i go all isle of man through my neighborhood, theres even a jump

Old 09-03-2007, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

it just sucks. i wanted to hit that road up bad. anyone else no of any famous roads that are similiar

Old 09-03-2007, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

You still can... The key is to be there at 7am and leave before 9am. The other key is to wait until after October.......

I am a Gap runner a couple times a year and my schedule has alway been to be there first thing in the morning, make a couple runs, and then get the hell out of there before traffic gets heavy or cops show up. I am actually debating on going this next weekend. I can't ride due to my knee injury, but I have friends going and we know MANY other roads in the area that are not being patrolled that are just as good, if not better than, the Gap. I was thinking about taking my son up to let him ride with my friends while the wife and I can just enjoy the evening time with friends.

The cops are getting insane up there right now though. They are pulling people over for "courtesy inspections" and issuing tickets for anything they can. They are deliberately trying to make it less than desireable for toursinst to ride that road and it's all because of the new Mayor of Knoxville. Yes, there have been deaths on the road in the past, but the same could be said for practially any road in existance. The problem is that this particular road is so well known now, and very challanging (I consider it one of the best roads I have ever ridden)that it can and does bite many up there. Went over the edge once myself due to my own mistake!

Old 09-03-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

well then when we do make a trip down there ill have to get in touch with you and you and yoru friends can show my friends and i these other roads. ive heard there are alot of roads off the gap that are just as good but are they patrolled heavily as well. and who voted the jackass mayor for knoxville into office. thats crap

Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

There is a road in this area called hwy 9. That is the same as gap as far as a ton of riders going there and a lot of accidents happening. I know today cops are pulling over just about every bike and inspecting them. A few people got tickets for not having the red rear reflector on the rear plate.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

hah good thing i dont live close cuz that would be me
ORIGINAL: evil636

thats a possability too, alot of newbs hit that spot with a gp attitude and msf skills and reality sets in.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

BTW....... If you want to see some of the stuff going on there, check this site out. They are all locals....

http://easttnriders.com/forum/forumd...19afa&f=15

Old 09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

so guys how long does this last do ya think

Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I know for a fact that the request for additional funding for this was for through October......

BTW........... Donna and I are heading up there Friday evening and coming back Sunday. I can't ride due to my dirt bike wreck last weekend, but we are going up to hang out with friends. We know plenty of other roads though, so they'll be ok. I am going to go up to the Gap Sat and Sun to get a look for myself to see how bad it is.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

You have to ask why they want to shut it down?

Cmon... think about it.

The number of serious accidents, major injuries and deaths there in a given week outweigh almost any other stretch of road in the country. That kind of thing can only be allowed to go on for so long, and to be honest - I am very surprised it hasn't happened long ago.

You have to ask why... this is your answer... and it is the EXACT reason why I will not go.

Quick Reply: DEALS GAP WTF