Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

dealing with depression

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: dealing with depression

I don't understand why some can post long posts?????

Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

more lasting help for me was when i feel bad, go help others. doesn't matter if they are in better or worse shape than you, nothing builds good strong lasting feelings of self value than pride in knowing you did something to help someone else. and it helps to have karma on your side as well as a slew of people that know what you did for them and would do anything to help you out at any time.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

but for me the number one thing to defeat depression has been faith. infact its the number one thing at preventing depression. took many years of hardship when relying on myself didn't work and I put it in Gods hands and everything worked out in the end for me to really build the faith that I have today. But knowing that it will always work out, that he is always watching over me (though he won't prevent me from feeling the pain of my own or others mistakes) to have the confidence to just soldier through the tough times always content in the knowledge that it will work out. With the help of that I find it much easier to find things that make me happy even in times of hardship.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with KB. When you are down go look to help someone. Helping ppl is a great way to get out of a funk.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the great responses everyone. most days are fine just from time to time it comes out of no where.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ur not alone on this one mang, i've had depression for years now but my way isn't healthy to deal with it haha. you can see a doctor and if they prescribe drugs BE VERY CAREFUL the drugs don't always work, sometimes they mess you up more. when i took the test i scored about at high as you can (that would be a first too lol) and they gave me drugs. i tried them for awhile but actually they messed me up more, i went from borderline/controlled suicidal to all out bad news bears....not fun and almost wasn't here today.

not a religious person but if finding faith will help you go for it, basically faith and hope in something that cheers you up works best for me. some depends on the strength of your willpower also. good friends, relaxed "happy" (lack of better term) places will help relax and sooth the inner beast.

my advice that's worked for me so far is find something to hold on to...REALLY hold on to whether it be a friend, faith, family, will to live, whatever to each there own and build upon that structure. scientifically i could be talking completely out my **** but i'm just trying to hopefully give you a place to start and it may work like it still is for me.

good luck mang, i'm always here also. send me a pm or call if you ever wanna chat homie.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

My bike is the most uplifting thing in the world to me. When I was depressed about things not working out with the ex - I would go work on the bike. I kept doing this until it was riding season... and then instead of working on the bike to get out of depression, I went riding. Hrm... I must have been depressed a lot, as I put 18,000 miles on from April until mid December

Whenever I have a bad day at work - I come home, sleep until rush hour dies off - and go riding. Summer time there are two things going on in my life... working and riding. Keep the bills paid on the backside, and what else is there to worry about? Pick some random destination on the map and go there. Then take a different way back.

If that doesn't cut it for you... well... there is always counselling and Zoloft.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Same here sro. No matter what I am feeling like, a good ride can help. Sometimes I don't have money for the gas to ride so I just try and think of some good times I've had and try and pull myself up.