Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

computer geeks, whats a good laptop

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: computer geeks, whats a good laptop

ohh yeah yet another q, what about going online with a notebook, what all do i need to make that happen ? im going on a business trip in a few weeks and still want to access the innernet and my e mail, how do i do it ? i can get online with my palm pilot but i cant take my work with me on it. i just dont want to have a bunch or crap to lug with me.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:57 AM
N2Q

as far as updating an older machine, it is usually cheaper to purchase a new cheap machine which will be far superior and faster than an old updated machine, with a new machine you will not have the new tech Vs. old hardware Vs. new software issues, its like putting a Hi-perf. part on a bike, the next weakest part is the one that will need to be replaced/break next. Another added benefit is you will recieve a warranty with a new machine. and you know that the parts inside are designed to work together, upgrades to old hardware can sometimes cause very serious and un-repairable conflicts.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: evil636

ohh yeah yet another q, what about going online with a notebook, what all do i need to make that happen ? im going on a business trip in a few weeks and still want to access the innernet and my e mail, how do i do it ? i can get online with my palm pilot but i cant take my work with me on it. i just dont want to have a bunch or crap to lug with me.
You could always get a WiMax network card from a wireless provider. That would give you DSL like speed anywhere you can get cellular service. But not all providers are as fast as others. Sprint is the only way to go where I live, but I'm sure out in Cali you would have many more options. (WiMax isn't cheap though. My friend uses it, and she spends around $60-70 just for the privilege.

Just about any laptop no matter how cheap will at least include wifi for any hotspot area you go to. With WiFi, you're just limited where the service is at.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

very understandable, so if a go to the dell store and get the cheapest book they have and whatever i need to go online i should be goog to go then ? or am i missing anything ?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:01 AM
N2Q

A new laptop SHOULD havewireless connectivity solutions and hardware for such, already in it, ask when you buy it if it is wi-fi ready, make sure you specify wi-fi ready, not wi-fi compatible, and it should have a ethernet plug in as well so that if you are in a hotel without wi-fi, they should have cabled internet access, and they should be able to supply an ethernet cable, you're new machine should come with one anyway.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

ORIGINAL: evil636

You could always get a WiMax network card from a wireless provider. That would give you DSL like speed anywhere you can get cellular service. But not all providers are as fast as others. Sprint is the only way to go where I live, but I'm sure out in Cali you would have many more options. (WiMax isn't cheap though. My friend uses it, and she spends around $60-70 just for the privilege.

Just about any laptop no matter how cheap will at least include wifi for any hotspot area you go to. With WiFi, you're just limited where the service is at.
thats just it tho, i dont want to spend 60 bucks a month or have a subscription to anything when im only useing this for business trips, traveling and when im taking a crap. hot spots are how i get online with my palm pilot.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: N2Q

A new laptop SHOULD havewireless connectivity solutions and hardware for such, already in it, ask when you buy it if it is wi-fi ready, make sure you specify wi-fi ready, not wi-fi compatible, and it should have a ethernet plug in as well so that if you are in a hotel without wi-fi, they should have cabled internet access, and they should be able to supply an ethernet cable, you're new machine should come with one anyway.

thats good to know too. with all that can i log on vie i.e or will i need a aol subscription or something ?

im the one that would get jacked by the computer store selling me everything under the sun because i dont know any of this.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 AM
N2Q

no aol subscription needed, any hotel you are at will allow you access just like you are at home, if they have a logon and password needed just ask themand they will give it to you, no need to dial-up to any outside provider.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

cool, any brand recamendations ?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM
1st Gear Member

N2Q pretty much hit it on the spot about going cheap. I made the mistake of spending almost $2500 for my sony a year and a half ago. (Of course, it was one of the very first laptops to use the dual core processor.) Now, a computer that costs $900 has the same performance. Just go cheap.

Quick Reply: computer geeks, whats a good laptop