Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Brilliant Heist

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool Brilliant Heist

I think this is a cool heist story and if the guy gets away, I think he deserves the money! It just goes to show you, sometimes simple is better!

Quote:

In an elaborate robbery scheme that's one part The Thomas Crowne Affair and one part Pineapple Express, a crook robbed an armored truck outside a Bank of America branch in Monroe, Wash., by hiring decoys through Craigslist to deter authorities.

It gets better: He then escaped in a creek headed for the Skykomish River in an inner tube, and the cops are still looking for him. "A great amount of money" was taken, Monroe police said, but did not provide a dollar value.

It appears to have unfolded this way, according to a Seattle-based NBC affiliate: around 11:00 a.m. PDT on Tuesday, the robber, wearing a yellow vest, safety goggles, a blue shirt, and a respirator mask went over to a guard who was overseeing the unloading of cash to the bank from the truck. He sprayed the guard with pepper spray, grabbed his bag of money, and fled the scene.

But here's the hilarious twist. The robber had previously put out a Craigslist ad for road maintenance workers, promising wages of $28.50 per hour. Recruits were asked to wait near the Bank of America right around the time of the robbery--wearing yellow vests, safety goggles, a respirator mask, and preferably a blue shirt. At least a dozen of them showed up after responding to the Craigslist ad.

"I came across the ad that was for a prevailing wage job for $28.50 an hour," one of the unwitting decoys, named Mike, said to the NBC station. As it turns out, they were simply placed there to confuse cops who were looking for a guy wearing a virtually identical outfit.

Authorities eventually found the getaway inner tube (a getaway inner tube!) and suspect that accomplices may have picked up the robber in a boat. According to the NBC affiliate, police hope to track him down by figuring out who posted the Craigslist ad in the first place.

Craigslist founder Craig Newmark was not immediately available for comment.

I would like to shake this mans hand!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

That is awesome!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ZZ, I was just thinking, this was in Washington State, who do we know in Washington?
Think about it!
By the way, if that guard would have kicked that robbers ***, he wouldn't have lost the money!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

thats freaking **** lmao

deej you better share some with me,, (this sounds like something that deej has planned lmao))

Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Hells yeah! ( a getaway innertube?) but good for him for a well thought out plan and the ***** to do it.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey I live in Washington hehehe and my Aunt and Uncle live in Monroe Washington. DOH!!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Ahaaa, more implications, now you have family and " contacts " in Monroe! This is getting good, dont you agree Jrock?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

P.S., Deej, got ant extra intertubes?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

No but I got a drift boat.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, it's time to fly us all out to Washington for a KF BBQ since you got the money now!

Quick Reply: Brilliant Heist