Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Bike concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike concerns

Well this summer i'm gonna have a problem i think and i'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions. I live in a 'not so good' part of my city and i'm forced to keep the bike outside in an unsecured parkin lot. i'm worried about the safety of the ride. i don't want it to get stolen or vandalized or anything and don't know what to do. the lot has a fence around it but the entrance is open allowing easy access.

what are the odds someone will mess with my bike and how do i keep it from getting stolen? i can't chain it to anything so i was thinking about using a bike chain or lock to chain the rear tire to the frame somehow so someone can't roll it.

any suggestions on keepin my bike safe outside in a bad neighborhood?

Old 03-06-2008, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike concerns

have you considered one of these?

http://www.onguardlock.com/chain/

mostlike people wont mess with your bike but if some one wants it bad enough they coudl just roll it away

Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

www.scorpioalarms.com

Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

With my bike being parked in my car port. I was able to chain it to a wooden beam holding the roof of the car port open. I would also put on a disk lock. Any way you could roll the bike into your house/apartment?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

get a portable storage container and use it as a garage. ohh and get the damage waiver so if the box gets vandalized its not your responsibility to pay for it.

or roll it in your apt

Old 03-06-2008, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

if you have assigned spots i'd drill the lot and install an eye bolt that you can chain the bike down to the pavement with. won't keep it from being vandelized but it would be leaving without heavy duty bolt cutters. make sure you have comprehensive insurance on the bike.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, people will screw with your bike. Chains and locks are nice, but I would bank on someone knocking it over. My personal recommendation - if moving is not an option... find a friend or family member in a better part of town or with a garage - or even a storage unit with 24 hour access... keep it there. Worth it in my opinion.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

how about an enclosed bike trailer that you can chainto a parking spot and put a boot on the wheel so it can't be stolen. then park the bike inside.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

if you have assigned spots i'd drill the lot and install an eye bolt that you can chain the bike down to the pavement with. won't keep it from being vandelized but it would be leaving without heavy duty bolt cutters. make sure you have comprehensive insurance on the bike.
Thats whata buddy of mine did in Atlanta when he found out that there were bikes getting stolen in the neighborhood. If you couldn't get storage or do what Sro suggested this would probably be the next best idea IMO.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

i can't get it into the apartment due to small hallways and being on the 3rd floor, not allowed to anchor anything in the pavement or anything like that. i may get one of those bike guards Talca showed or just spend the extra money on small storage container nearby and walk to get it? idk.

i don't have any family or good friends in the area i could use a garage for. it seems convincing the landlord to let me chain it to something on the premasis or just chain the rear tire is the best i can do.

it worries me too cuz "Taco's Auto Repair" is on the other side of the fence from me lol. that's litterally the name of the shop and they always have an abundance of wrecked/parted cars out there, i wonder if it's a chop shop most days.

grrrr i hate not having a garage.

Quick Reply: Bike concerns