Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Article about bikes in the local paper

Old 05-04-2008, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Article about bikes in the local paper

+1 I'm tired of stupid squids.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe we should put them all on an island, and then set off a nuke...

and everybody dies.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zzrick

There isn't tiered drivers licensing around here, why should there be for bikes? Most of big squids I have known don't even have licenses. It is mostly them, not the responsible riders that cause problems and do stupid stuff.
That's part of the problem also. You dont need to have a license to buy a motorcycle. Any Joe Blow can walk in and buy one. That's just plain stupid. It should be made that they can't get a bike registered without a license. Florida requires everyone under 21 to take the MSF course. They also have the lovely license plate that says "Under 21". I've also heard rumor that later in the year is that the MSF course will be mandatory for everyone who wants to ride in Florida. I don't think just the MSF class is enough, but it's a start.

Like anything else, there are pros and cons. Do a Google search and you will find tons of articles and message board responses.
Here are some reader responses to a tiered licensing article from MotorycleDaily.com

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/08feb...responses.html

I've been riding for 31 years. I started out like a lot of others, self taught and taught by others. I have since taken the BRC, like 15 years or so ago, and the ERC a couple years ago. I plan on taking the ERC again this summer. I still think that more training and testing, like a tiered licensing would require, would help.

The biggest opponent to it would be the bike manufactures. They wouldn't sell as many ZX10R1BusaGixxerNinja as before.

OK, flame on.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: srobak

Maybe we should put them all on an island, and then set off a nuke...

and everybody dies.
lol. not a bad idea... to bad i put them all up your ***[8D] jk

Old 05-05-2008, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

“We think it would be kind of discriminatory, since drivers of cars don’t have to take safety training. Plus, we’re for freedom and liberty.â€

uhhh... maybe for certian age groups??? i had to take a safety course to get my lisence... im not bieng discriminated against.

i think people use that to freely theese days. its not discrimination, its being smart. i personally think that ppl under 20sompething should take a asfety course, and in that course, have a treadmill in the classroom, and as a mandatory part of your grade you have to jump flatfoot onto the treadmill when its going 10mph. then tell them "that sucked huh? now picture it from 3ft up and at 10x the speed." and as a 16yo. i can honestly say thats a good idea.