Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Anyone following Jessica Watson?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone following Jessica Watson?

http://youngestround.blogspot.com/

I think its pretty cool. It allows some of us that will never be able to do something like this to be a part. I did an RSS feed update, and now I will get updates in my outlook mailbox. You Go Girl!!

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/

Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

no, but sailing around the world solo would be a nice vacation/experience for sure.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Those parents need to be hung allowing their 16 year old to sail around the world by herself. They especially need to have their butts kicked for allowing her to sail around the ocean in anything less than a steel or aluminum hulled vessel. God forbid she encounters a terrible storm. She will certainly capsize.

She definetly lucked out when she collided with the ship. If she were navigating with the proper equipment, the ship would have seen the sailboat on the GPS and vicse versa.

There have been so many men and women who have went to sea and never came back. I do not believe she is adequately prepared nor have the maritime/captain's experience to endure this voyage.

I am definetly not impressed at all.....

Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

You are damn right Chiksta, I was thinking the same thing. And furthermore, she is too cute to end up as shark bait. I bet she dont make it half way before she either has to be rescued, or she joins Jolly Roger.
I dont mean to sound cruel, but that is just messed up. And I cant believe that the Coastguard would allow it?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Those parents need to be hung allowing their 16 year old to sail around the world by herself.
Kinda like sending her off to bootcamp actually. Time to man up

Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Worlok14
You are damn right Chiksta, I was thinking the same thing. And furthermore, she is too cute to end up as shark bait. I bet she dont make it half way before she either has to be rescued, or she joins Jolly Roger.
I dont mean to sound cruel, but that is just messed up. And I cant believe that the Coastguard would allow it?
Unfortunately USCG does not have jurisdiction over non american Captains operating in foreign water on anything less than 100T. Also, the docmentary does not specify how many miles she sails from the coastline. You can sail up to 200ft without a Masters license, however, to exceed that you would still require a 6-pack for a vessel under 100T. Either way it goes I still think it is a bad idea. Even USCG requires a minimum of a 4 man crew consisting of 2 captains working 12 hr shifts, tankerman or engineer, and deckhand.

But, to each his own I suppose....

Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow. Bet That Was Scary

Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I for one think its cool, but at the same time I totally respect everyone's opinions. I hope her all the best. And the accident she had was too bad, not a good way to start things out, even though it was not on the main trip, I'm sure it was unnerving to say the least.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Pardon my ignorance here since I am not a captain but a mere builder of these massive vessels, but HOW IN THE F&*K DO YOU HIT A VESSEL THAT IS LONGER THAN A FOOTBALL FIELD??? Dude, those tankers are several stories high. Approximately 10 stories = 100 steps. LOL! GEEZUUSSSSS!

Quick Reply: Anyone following Jessica Watson?