Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Anyone with computer knowledge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone with computer knowledge?

So I have been quite busy lately and never really have time to sit down at the computer. I have a old Dell Latitude laptop that originally came with win98 but is running XP now. I plan on buying a wireless internet card for it but I have no idea if the internet will work on it. I have had DSL hooked to it but thats it. I tried using my usb cable modem but it won't download the drivers to install it. So I have a few questions.

1. Once I buy the card will I have to pay a monthly bill?
2. Will the card work with my old laptop.
3. Is it better to have wi-fi or just a regular wireless internet.

Thanks,
Will

Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Anyone with computer knowledge?

im coputarded sorry. heck ive been on here for a couple of years and just learned how to post pics....lol[8D]

Old 03-20-2008, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Haha thanks anyways hoedogg.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Are you wanting to connect to a local wireless router or are you wanting a wireless phone card? If its the later then yes there will be a cost, probably in the $40.00-$50.00 range a month. I have a wireless router at home, but if you want to play you gotta pay. Getting a wireless card will allow older laptops to connect to WIFI access points, but it won't let you get the Internet if you are not within range, which can be 150 to 1000 ft depending on the signal and power out. Nice thing about almost all new laptops in the last few years is that the wireless is all built in, no card needed.

There is a way sometimes to use a cell phone and cabling and software sometimes to get a data link to a laptop, provided you have a data plan on your cell phone, but that gets more complicated. Now a full on phone card through your provider can be cheap to purchase lets say around $100.00, but its the monthly fee that will get ya. I hope this helps. I'm still using a Dell Inspiron 4200 at home, but it came with XP right when XP came out.

I networked both machines at home with a hard cable through the attic, and then I got the wireless router, then about 6 months ago the screen died on the laptop so I added an external monitor, so its no longer a portable machine. So the only time I get to use the wireless now is if I bring the new laptop with Vista home for the weekend.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I just want a wi-fi card that will let me use ethernet at home and wi-fi at school or when I go to work with my dad.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

i think you can get a air card and go on line whenever. if the pc is wifi ready it will pick up on the wifi signal and ask if you want to connect to it or off the casd. i only know how to post pics.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you need two things then. A wireless card to put into your laptop, and a wireless router that will give you access to your internet at home without using wires. (Keep in mind the router cannot "route" you the internet wireless-ly unless you have a DSL/Cable modem to receive the internet first.

Basically what deej said.