Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

AA battery-powered amp for iPod/MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default AA battery-powered amp for iPod/MP3 player

I had a pretty good post for a reply, but the thread was deleted as I was typing. I thought the information was good for some Do-It-Yourselfers out there that either don't want to wear earphones, or were looking for a portable speaker application for their laptop, DVD/MP3 player or video iPod. Let me know if someone actually builds this as a project. I would like to get some feedback before I build one. This amp has 80% efficiency, which is great for those wanting an amp that puts out more sound than heat.

You could build something in a backpack with this amplifier:

Sonic Impact 5066 T-Amp 30W Portable Amplifier
Part Number 300-952 List price: $34.99 ea; Price $29.99 ea. Plus shipping.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-952

I've thought about doing that. It's powered off of batteries, or you could actually run it off of your motorcycle battery, as it runs off of 12-14V. You would actually power regular speakers with it. 10wt RMS at 8 ohms, or 15wt RMS at 4 ohms. So a pair of these would put out almost as much power as a typical car stereo, as most run at 17-20wt RMS. With a 3.5mm (headphone) cord running from your CD/MP3/DVD player or laptop to this, you could get a good amount of sound from it.

I wonder if this could fit under the seat. Maybe get a speaker or two mounted somewhere on the bike, if you can find space. Get a built-in jack somewhere, and a power switch for the power to the amp, and you've got a stereo that only needs a source.

Wiki: "Class T" is a trademark of TriPath company, which manufactures audio amplifier IC's. This new class "T" is a revision of the common class D amplifier, but with changes to ensure fidelity over the full audio spectrum, unlike traditional class D designs. It operates at a frequency of 650 kHz, with a proprietary modulator.

Amplifier information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier

Old 09-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: AA battery-powered amp for iPod/MP3 player

sorry about that ben, i did what i had to do.

so, if you had a amp with the ipod, how loud would it be at a stop light compared to running at 80 mph on a road trip ?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

That's cool.

It depends on which way the speakers are pointed, where they're located. Your volume control on your iPod would still be variable, compared to one of those cig-lighter radio links Monster sells. For a big road trip, you could turn the amp up, iPod down, and when you're going faster, turn the iPod volume up, or turn it up before you hit the road. The faster you're going, the more road noise you'll have to disrupt the sound of the speakers.

I believe there are some iPod chargers out there that will power your iPod and give you full access and volume control of your iPod. You could mount an outlet on your bike off of the battery (with a fuse) and plug it in to charge on long trips. Then you just run the 3.5mm plug from the earphone socket to the amp, and from the amp to some speakers. The nicer thing about speakers mounted outside of your helmet, is that you don't have earbuds blocking all of the road noise, since sometimes you need to listen to your bike or other traffic. And when you're driving 80mph, nobody cares that you have speakers cranked up. I guess you could also mount something on the back seat to allow easy removability.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

im more into the simple effective method. i dont want to run excessive wiring and be plugged into my bike or put things in a dedicated backpack. theres got to be a way to make something that will be heard, be simple to hook up and user friendly.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:05 AM
1st Gear Member

That's crazy talk.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member

A simple earphone volume booster, as listed in another thread:
http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=14
Amazon listing for Boostaroo:
http://www.amazon.com/Boostaroo-5231.../dp/B0007Z7XTO

Something really awesome, building your own amplifier for headphones:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/
Another like the one above:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Op-a...one-amplifier/

Old 09-21-2007, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been thinking about mounting some earphones in myhelmet. Don't want to mess up my helmet to make room though.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

i have big ears

Old 09-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

easier for dinky to grab you by
ORIGINAL: firstninjabike

i have big ears

Old 09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

sometimes she does have to put me into my place she wears the pants, unless its naughty school girl night

Quick Reply: AA battery-powered amp for iPod/MP3 player