Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

25 year sentance for a guy that killed a biker!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 25 year sentance for a guy that killed a biker!

So they finally punished a guy that got wasted, and ran over a guy on a bike. It's about time! But the twist is, that the perp is an illegal alien. So now we have to support his sorry *** in prison, then he gets deported. The *** hole would probably be better off in prison than back in his home land, free room and board you know! Well, at least they did something about it I guess.

http://www.theledger.com/article/200...atal-I-4-Crash

Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Regardless of whether or not the individual killed from a person DUI/DWI is a biker, the person DUI/DWI should be under all circumstances be held accountable for their actions. But at the same time, the person driving DUI/DWI did not premeditate to kill someone with their vehicle. So it is a moral dilemma? I would assume the contributing circumstances before determining punishment for an individual guilty of DUI/DWI.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Throw the book at 'em. Anyone that gets drunk and gets behind the wheel is completely negligent. Maybe not premeditated, but 100% idiot and should be removed from the general population for they cannot be trusted with other people's safety and well-being.

Seems like I'm reading about minivans full of kids getting killed every week around here by drunk drivers. Personally, I'm tired of seeing it. F*k the 12 step program, I could care less, these people take out whole families in one fell swoop. Lock'em up and throw away the key.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

So you are saying you have never operated a motor vehicle after 1. consuming and beverage which alters your current state of mind/judgement or 2. after injesting PRESCRIPTION medication which alter your current state of mind/judgement?

DWI defines the scope of any substance which alters your current state of mind and affects judgement.

Should we throw the book at you because you took your sinus meds that made you sleepy which made you less alert and resulted in you rear ending a family and killing them?

See where i'm going with this?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

If that person is an illegal alien he /she will be deported. Unfortunately that person will probable sneak back into the country with in a week or so, and there is nothing we can do about it except catch that individual again and start the deportation process over again.
Talk about a broken record huh.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow, life sucks, doesn't it? Let's see, let me get drunk and, oh, I don't know, go kill some people. If it was done with a gun it would be considered mass murder and they would probably get the death penalty. But because they do it with a car it's OK? Those people are just as dead. Kind of like the difference between a "crime" and a "hate crime", I just don't get it. The victim is just as dead either way. I don't call getting drunk and then driving and killing someone an accident. It's not an accident.

My wife was just telling me yesterday about a family with something like four kids getting hit by a drunk driver. Only one of the kids survived. How would you like to be that kid that wakes up in the hospital and finds out not only his mom and dad are dead, but all his brothers and sisters, too?

Sorry, but I got zero sympathy for it. See where I'm going with this?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

It is obviously evident you are not well versed in law.

1. mass murder and multiple fatalities in a traffic accident with alcohol involved are very different. The difference is that murder is premeditated and vehicular homicide isnt.
a. With a mass murder there is an elaborative plan and premeditation that occurs prior to the crime. Intent is prevalent and necessary to charge a person with this crime.
b. DUI has no premeditation and no set determination that the parties involved with the intoxicated individual will actually sustain any injury as a result of the driver's intoxicated state. No intent or premeditation occurs with this crime. In addition to getting charged with DUI you will also be charged with vehicular homicide. It has it's own seperate charge, which is comparable to maslaughter in the 1st degree since the automobile is deemed as a deadly weapon in the eyes of the law.

2. In the eyes of the law there is no distinction made between alcohol and your medication. You are either under the influence of any substance (including mass quantities of water that imbalance your electrolytes) or you are not.

So if your theory held true about killing a person while under the influence of alcohol, if you were to get into a bar fight resulting in the death of an individual using your hands only, it would be murder in the 3rd degree instead of manslaughter in the 3rd degree.

I can see where your view is coming from but after having worked 2 1/2 years in the crime scene unit for Mobile Police Department my views have changed. I see no difference between a reckless driver crashing into a family as opposed to an intoxicated driver crashing into a family and killing them. Either way you look at it, there is still a collision resulting in fatalities. There is death whether you are sober or not. Dead is dead. Just be glad its not one of your own.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Wow, life sucks, doesn't it? Let's see, let me get drunk and, oh, I don't know, go kill some people. If it was done with a gun it would be considered mass murder and they would probably get the death penalty. But because they do it with a car it's OK? Those people are just as dead. Kind of like the difference between a "crime" and a "hate crime", I just don't get it. The victim is just as dead either way. I don't call getting drunk and then driving and killing someone an accident. It's not an accident.

My wife was just telling me yesterday about a family with something like four kids getting hit by a drunk driver. Only one of the kids survived. How would you like to be that kid that wakes up in the hospital and finds out not only his mom and dad are dead, but all his brothers and sisters, too?

Sorry, but I got zero sympathy for it. See where I'm going with this?
I think it was seven people that got killed in that mess!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chik636rydr
It is obviously evident you are not well versed in law.

1. mass murder and multiple fatalities in a traffic accident with alcohol involved are very different. The difference is that murder is premeditated and vehicular homicide isnt.
a. With a mass murder there is an elaborative plan and premeditation that occurs prior to the crime. Intent is prevalent and necessary to charge a person with this crime.
b. DUI has no premeditation and no set determination that the parties involved with the intoxicated individual will actually sustain any injury as a result of the driver's intoxicated state. No intent or premeditation occurs with this crime. In addition to getting charged with DUI you will also be charged with vehicular homicide. It has it's own seperate charge, which is comparable to maslaughter in the 1st degree since the automobile is deemed as a deadly weapon in the eyes of the law.

2. In the eyes of the law there is no distinction made between alcohol and your medication. You are either under the influence of any substance (including mass quantities of water that imbalance your electrolytes) or you are not.

So if your theory held true about killing a person while under the influence of alcohol, if you were to get into a bar fight resulting in the death of an individual using your hands only, it would be murder in the 3rd degree instead of manslaughter in the 3rd degree.

I can see where your view is coming from but after having worked 2 1/2 years in the crime scene unit for Mobile Police Department my views have changed. I see no difference between a reckless driver crashing into a family as opposed to an intoxicated driver crashing into a family and killing them. Either way you look at it, there is still a collision resulting in fatalities. There is death whether you are sober or not. Dead is dead. Just be glad its not one of your own.
I don't take medication and I don't drink and I certainly wouldn't do it and drive. And there is such a think as an accident, sometimes circumstances prevail and it cannot be helped. But choosing to drink and drive is no accident. Most drunks are usually repeat offenders and have had done it "lots of times" before they kill someone. They didn't do it by accident, they chose to do what they did. You can rationalize it all you want and quote law about cough medicine all you want. Drunk drivers are a menace and should be removed from the roads, by force if necessary. And I do think the deaths that result from their choice to careen down the roadways too impaired to operate their 2 ton vehicle safely should be punishable as murder. There's just plain and simple absolutely no excuse for it.

And don't even get me started on texting. I believe statistics show that people that text and drive are even worse. I guess it just won't sink in to some people until it happens to them or a close family member or someone they know. And all of a sudden it will be important.

What can you really do, though? Make the punishment so harsh that it becomes a viable deterrent? I doubt that really works. Sadly, there are no good answers. Some people just insist on being negligent idiots that are a danger to others. They're a danger to themselves, too, but I could care less about that, that's their choice. But they don't have the right to make that choice for other people.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx250s_rider
I think it was seven people that got killed in that mess!
Yeah, I read about that, I think that was some guys fleeing from the police and hit a car with two adults and 5 kids, and 4 of the kids got killed. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain that family is going through.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 25 year sentance for a guy that killed a biker!