Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

10 year ban for wheelie in Miami

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 10 year ban for wheelie in Miami

10-year ban for popping a wheelie in Miami

Posted Nov 28th 2007 11:04AM by Chris Shunk
Filed under: Government/Legal, Safety, Motorcycles

South Florida has a motorcycle problem, and lawmakers are introducing legislation to show bikers that they'll go a long way to punish those who break the rules. Stunt riding (including wheelies), excessive speeding, and concealable license plates will get you a 10 year ban on your motorcycle license, mandatory jail time, and an impounded bike. If the punishment sounds like the medieval practice of cutting off the hand of a man for stealing, that's exactly how State Representative Carlos Lopez-Cantera wants it.

Lopez-Cantera witnessed firsthand a variety of incidents during which reckless behavior was on display, including bikers flying down the highway at 120 mph, high speed wheelies, and more. Police officers can't even run plates since bikers will often flip them up to avoid detection, and it's very difficult to catch a motorcycle on the open road with a squad car. We like motorcycles, even though our focus is on cars, and it's disappointing to see that things have apparently gotten so out of hand in South Florida that draconian enforcement policies are being seriously discussed.

[Source: Visor Down via Paultan]
http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclen...elie/1969.html

Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 10 year ban for wheelie in Miami

Hmmmmm, like I said on that "flipping plate bracket" post; either we police ourselves or someone else will.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

i dunno, this sounds like a public riding problem, i at least find an empty road or make sure I'm not going to endanger someone elses life if i feel like having fun. this situation sounds like they do this in public, taking advantage of their freedoms openly in the wake of daily commuters

just my opinion

Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

i guess when you have ppl with total disregard for themselves and others were going to get the hammer. i feel like motorcycles are being singled out, you never hear of multiple levels of punishment for street racing or burnouts for cars.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

But the cars can be run down by police cruisers a lot easier than a bike. The problem isnt that its bikes or its florida, the problem is there is a really high population density and with so many people in one place the chances you will come across an idiot increase. And when a group of idiots get together and act stupid on the highways and then scatter when the cops come, a relatively small problem comes under a very bright light.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

i hope that crap does not make it into a law.

prom in south florida everybody rides and drives like they are the biggest a-hole in the world . so there is speeding on the highway by cars and motorcycles, and at least there is a limited number of motorcyclist, un like cars that there are thousands of them, running other cars of the road, i have had a-hole in their benz rear end me at 80 because of how close they were to me, trying to push me to go faster.

the speeding law should be made for everyone cars and bikes, just because bikes can go fast does not mean that they should be singled out

Old 11-29-2007, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

If I had a check from an insurance company every time I brake-checked a tail-gater, I would have bought a lot of stuff.

Oh wait... I did

Old 11-29-2007, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

That might be enforced like the seat belt law or the cell phone while driving blah blah. Hopefully it's just a scare tactic. Maybe in someareas where the stunt riding is getting out of hand. Who knows.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

probalem is that once one area makes a law like this i makes it easier for other cities/states to also implement similar

Old 11-29-2007, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

probalem is that once one area makes a law like this i makes it easier for other cities/states to also implement similar
exactly,
no body cares that is a much more efficient mode of transportation, that if it was regulated carefully, i mean regulate cagers effectively, then it could be much more successfull for those of us who enjoy it

Quick Reply: 10 year ban for wheelie in Miami