Off Road Taken your quad or bike off roading lately? Talk about it here.

Potective Gear,Whatch that trail!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Potective Gear,Whatch that trail!!

Just wanted to state where i live and ride in the nw of colorado,if you go down out there better make sure you dont get hurt.Cause no one will come.Not for a while at least.The whole point of this was i was riding,ate it hard on a big truck rut at about 40 mph of sliding whith a bike on my leg across rocks and hard dirt with my head smashed into the ground along with my left shoulder.I had on my helmet, chest protector,elbow guards,knee pads,riding pants,motocross boots, and gloves, and got right back on my bike.Without it i would be in a hospital or still in the desert. Really sore but alive.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Default RE: Potective Gear,Whatch that trail!!

Ouch! Glad to hear you made it home okay. I was an Air Force cop stationed in Colorado a few years ago. Curious, do they have a helmet law there now? I hope so. Back in the '90s, it wasn't enforced until you got on base. Too many times, I would see squids wear their helmet right up until they left the gate, then would take the time to remove it, hang it on their bike, and ride off. Brilliant!

Even though the weather's warming up here in So Cal, I'm still fully geared. I'd rather sweat a little (a lot) than the alternative.

BTW, how's the bike?

ORIGINAL: oconnorcreek

Just wanted to state where i live and ride in the nw of colorado,if you go down out there better make sure you dont get hurt.Cause no one will come.Not for a while at least.The whole point of this was i was riding,ate it hard on a big truck rut at about 40 mph of sliding whith a bike on my leg across rocks and hard dirt with my head smashed into the ground along with my left shoulder.I had on my helmet, chest protector,elbow guards,knee pads,riding pants,motocross boots, and gloves, and got right back on my bike.Without it i would be in a hospital or still in the desert. Really sore but alive.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

There is no helmet law here.The bike got pretty scratched front fender back side panel,radiator shroud,and pretty much destroyed the hand gaurd but I have to say i am impressed how well it held up no major damage.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Anybody else ride with a chest protector while trail riding? I know they're mostly used for protecting MX riders from rocks and roost, but I've also read that they offer trail riders protection from getting a punctured lung. I haven't had any rocks thrown at me while trail riding behind somebody (and I don't think I throw any myself ... yet, but workin' on it!!!). I'm wondering how much protection they offer for your general trail riding mishaps - at least avoiding broken ribs and collar bones, but ideally reducing the severity of getting your wind knocked out.

I've seen a few new "under jersey" and body armour / impact protection models that look kind of interesting.

Any comments for or against? Any product recommendations?

Thanks!

Mike

Old 01-13-2007, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I started using achest protecter after i dislocated my shoulder when i hit a tree. Had i had one on the results would have been different. They also protect you from limbs and if you fall rocks. I know this from experiance.(unfortunally). Another great thingare shine guards. I don't know how many times a rock has kicked up and hit me or a limb has flipped up and smacked me in the shin.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Shin guard? Are you not wearing boots?

Old 09-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

For trail riding (sorry Deej; I like my ol' trusty Husqvarna) I'd support any gear that could keep me from injury. (Nearly) knee-high MX boots, gloves, helmet, armor (chest protector, etc.), goggles, whatever I can put on and still ride the bike! Crazy things can happen on-road and off-road. Dress for the crash!

Old 11-03-2007, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

hey guys been a long time.didnt ride much this summer due to a back injury "not due to riding"but am getting better hope all of you are wearing some gear and excuse my poor spelling.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jeffzx9

For trail riding (sorry Deej; I like my ol' trusty Husqvarna) I'd support any gear that could keep me from injury. (Nearly) knee-high MX boots, gloves, helmet, armor (chest protector, etc.), goggles, whatever I can put on and still ride the bike! Crazy things can happen on-road and off-road. Dress for the crash!
Sorry? About what? As in nobody thinks I ride trails? That's funny right there. I probably ride more trails than almost anyone here. Remember I live where the woods are within walking distance in all directions. Whatever. Just because I don't like mud and wash my bike right away doesn't mean I don't ride trails.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Let's see a picture of your KLX dirty Deej, really dirty!

Quick Reply: Potective Gear,Whatch that trail!!