Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Default Tires

So I'm lookin for tires after barely passing my safety inspection this year (LOL) and I was wondering what everyones personal preference is on the subject. What handles better, versus what lasts longer... maybe prices even if you know em. I'm pretty lost on the science of tires. Thanks!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tires

What year, what type of riding do you do (track days?), how many miles during a season, how often do you want to replace them; there is no obvious choice without more information from you.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm as said above by Jeff, you need to know what you plan on doing for the ride.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I do more highway and moderate twists than I do hardcore track-mimicking, but I have taken my new Dunlop D220 (Sport-touring, not puresport) right to the edges on my 98 ZX9. I honestly feel these things grip far better than the Metzler M1s that were on it - lots more confidence when I do go about pounding it into the corners... won't break loose for anything - even with my 250 lb *** on it. The front Metz slipped out twice on me under far less intensive cornering before I finally said enough and took them off. I went with the D220's because they were the closest thing I could find to the old Sportmax 2's which I had on my ZX7 back in the day. Very, very happy with them.

I have also heard absolute raves from everyone who has tried out the Continental Attack tires - apparently designed by a guy who left Pirelli. I might try one of theirs next... but I really do like the stability and confidence of my D220, and it is a ZR rated tire... so that works quite well for me.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I agree with Shawn. I run the 220's on my old heavy 9 and they do everything I need. If you want super-grippy tires, go with the latest from Dunlop or Pirelli. However, there's a mild trade-off between grip and longevity with a heavier bike. The 220's give me all the grip I need, but I'm no knee-dragger. They've also worn very little and I've had themabout 2 years.
If, on the other hand, you're a frequent track day AMA prodigy, go with the Pirelli Super Corsa(I've got friends who swear by 'em; they detest Michelin's for the track) or the Dunlop Sport Max.
I also wouldn't deviate too far from original spec's for your bike. Some bikes are designed around a particular style and sizes of tires. Sometimes, changing brands and sidewall height can have a pretty drastic effect on handling. Be realistic about how you ride and how much you want to spend;don't just throw stupid money on race compound tires to ride on the street.
My 2-cents.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 AM

lol no sir, i wish i was an AMA prodigy. most of my riding is freeway around 80 with moderate twists. i also weigh 250 and dont wanna replace them terribly often if i can avoid it, i mean you gatta pay to play but hopefully little as possible lol [8D]

Old 06-12-2007, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I recommend the D220 then... I will be sticking with those on the rear for sure in the future. Jeff - are you running a 220 on the front as well?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(That CROW tastes pretty good this morning, Shawn...)

Er,...I'm getting the last layer of rubber off a 207 race compound front, a track day prodigy gave to me for free. However, I do plan to get a 220 for the front. (Remember, thanks to ABX Air/DHL, I'm unemployed right now. Part of a massive lay-off in Wilmington, Ohio. That's why I have so much time to post in the forums!!) There it is...warts and all.

I've got the 220 on the rear.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

.....at least I didn't throw "stupid money" on it. [sm=nono.gif]

Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jeffzx9

(That CROW tastes pretty good this morning, Shawn...)
I don't get it... ???

I do plan to get a 220 for the front.
I'm kinda torn on the front. I really do not care for the dual center channels in the tread pattern. If it had one, I might be more inclinded... I am contemplating what else I can mix with the 220 rear and get the results that I want out of.

Quick Reply: Tires