Sputtering issues

Old 06-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Sputtering issues

I have a 2000 ZX9R with 3100 miles, the bike has hadtrouble with carbs because it sits so much. I have cleaned them 3 times in the 4 yrs I have owed it. My bike runs as you have described.When I want to leave from a stop I have toblip the throttle to get the rpm's up and the bike will pull away just fine, no blip and it stumbles real bad but it does get going after a couple of seconds. Now and then when you come to a stop sign it does stall.
sooo, wouldn't the low spd circuit or the float level be of significance? Or would you like to include the a/f screws? There is a jetting/carb issue.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:29 AM

I have heard more than once from people who install Akrapovic Exhaust systems that no rejetting is necessary most of the time, but in my case , my 2000 Kawi ZX9R has completely stock everything in the carbs, the only performance mods are the Full Stainless/Cabon Exhaust system , K&N Airfilter , and Nowthe Iridium Spark plugs.

Before the plugs, the bikes low end performance was terrible, for the last four years I thought it was the carbs, the bike was rideable, but to pull away from a stop you had to pull in the clutch and rev the engine and just as the rev's come down release the clutch lever and go, and this had to be down every single time.

changing the float level shouldn't be necessary, the stock level has always worked for me.
A/f screw can always be adjusted richer on most bikes, since EPA standards usally have the bike too lean, even with no mod's to the engine/ fuel system.
A jetting /carb issue , if you gotan issue,jet kits usally fix them
In my case I never had an issue with the fuel system after I made my mod's, The Spark Plugs were the problem from day one, even though they have a nice tan color to them.
Like they say if the bike won't start don't change the Pistons, see if you have fuel in the tank. Sometimes it is the easy stuff that goes wrong.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Have the needles been shimmed?

Old 06-04-2007, 03:50 PM

unfortunately i'm pretty sure mine is not spark plugs... ordering ivans kit and factorypro advancer today! pretty stoked for my bike to run correctly!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope that helps you with your problem. let us know how the bike is doing after the parts are installed.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:31 PM

yeah this will be my first jetting, got a guy from the local sportbike group to school me on how to install all this stuff...

Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

that's cool hope the install goes good for you.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:07 AM

alright, got the jet kit mostly in... one thing i have a question about is we couldnt figure out what air displacement holes are?? it said we need to drill them but we couldnt find them and the local shop said they werent sure where they were on my bike and that often times they drill the incorrect holes when ppl bring their bikes in. any ideas??? and another question... on syncing the carbs on my 03 where do you hook up the guages?

Old 06-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, I cannot help on this one. The kit should have the complete instructions, if not call up the company.

The carb boots do not have ports for synching?

Old 06-17-2007, 02:14 PM

not for each carb it doesnt seem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sputtering issues