Rough idle then locks up and dies, restarts.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 AM
Default Rough idle then locks up and dies, restarts.

Hi Everyone,
Please allow me to say hello and to mention how happy I am to be able to laise with all you guys. After having a "rip off" problem with some local "helpers", I have decided to work on my bike myself or as much as possible. Firstly I sent it out to check and start sfter having it down for some time, pushed it back home, changed the static and battery and got it to start and idle but it locks up and dies everytime, it will restart at once but will do the same thing again. Can somebody point me in the right direction as to the path forward, thanks

adinoo.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome, Ad. Tell us more. What year, carbs/injected, what does "lock up" mean; the bike just stalls or does it literally "lock" and toss you off(?), are you slowly moving in lower gears or "cruising speed" when it locks up, any odd noises you've noticed, how much time goes by when you have this problem--a few minutes, or a half hour (heat related?), any leaks/smells/smoke, any modifications?.......the answer is in the details.
Glad to have you with us. We'll help if we can....

Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF!

Congrats on the ride. More details please.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM

Thanks a lot guys its good to have knowledgeable company, the problem is at idle. I am now trying to restart after bringing it back home. Not sure what was taken out or disconnected. Could it be the oil pump not outputing and if so is there any adjustment that can be made to it or is it a repair / replacement of the pump.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by adinoo
Thanks a lot guys its good to have knowledgeable company, the problem is at idle. I am now trying to restart after bringing it back home. Not sure what was taken out or disconnected. Could it be the oil pump not outputing and if so is there any adjustment that can be made to it or is it a repair / replacement of the pump.

I am not trying to be a Prune here, but do you have a factory manual for your ride? Your "oil pump" question has me thrown off somewhat.
changed the static and battery and got it to start and idle but it locks up and dies everytime, it will restart at once but will do the same thing again.
Your ride will sit and idle but at what throttle position is the bike cutting out? or does it die right after start up without any throttle? the "locks up and dies everytime" statement.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM

No factory manual, starts and without any throttle it cuts off, it makes alot of noise then dies. Does the oil pump have a priming issue because a vew filter was fitted with what seems to be a very thin body oil, thinner than car oil I'm sure, will continue poking around day again.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Changed oil and filter, filled filter with oil, top up sump, attempted to start, the oil light is not coming off. Is there a way to prime the oil pump, thanks in advance for the help guys.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

No, no, no, no...... Do NOT keep starting it and getting into that "noise" issue until you figure out the cause! Where, SPECIFICALLY is the noise coming from? Top end (valves?) Bottom end? Side of engine (timing chain?) Describe the noise. What is the history of this bike? (i.e., was it actually running when you bought it?) Have the valves ever been adjusted? How many miles on the engine? Wrecked? (Do not over-fill the crankcase with oil.) The oil "light" should go off after the engine starts. If it does not, turn it off (and leave it off) until you find the cause.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice, the bike was running before I took it to a "helpful friend". Now I believe he played with it a bit and then when something when wrong he said he had no time to complete the "tune up". No problem my fault but I will learn, will look at the oil cooler and dis assembly the water/ oil pump on Wednesday. Since hanging with you guys I might be thinking a little clearer. If the drive for the pump looks OK I think I should check the sump pan. Does this pump carry a foot valve of some sort? Do I have the sequence right in order to troubleshoot this problem. Please feel free to provide some guideance. Again as always thanks for your help.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey ad, before you do anything...please get yourself a (factory) manual. If you plan on keeping the bike it will pay for itself, and if you SELL the bike, tack-on the extra cost to the new owner (who should thank you for including the manual!!) Yes, yes, you're looking at about $100 +/-, but it will help you proceed logically.
I would also quiz (seriously...torture?) your "helpful friend" until he tells you EXACTLY what he did to your bike.
We still need to discuss this "noise" you tell us about. Describe, please, including specific location.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough idle then locks up and dies, restarts.