mechanic hurting my 1995 zx9r

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:46 AM
sam
1st Gear Member
Default mechanic hurting my 1995 zx9r

my ignition system has dyna 2000 box, dyna crank trigger, dyna coils, nology plug wires and brand new ngk iridium plugs.
the mechanic who installed muzzys cam gears and adjusted the valve timing has managed to somehow foul the plugs. he also has the battery(brand new) hooked up to a car battery and claims "its only 12 volts and wont hurt anything".
Can this harm the electrical? what specifically?
he also had the new plug wires bent and badly twisted. the grounds were fraid and twisted. then they were inserted in the wrong cylinders. and it wouldnt start. obviously.
can the attempt to start have caused damage to anything? what specifically?

there is no airbox gasket. I told to replace it 3 monthes ago.
brand new clear led taillight w/ integrater is now not working.
engine was flooding. mechanic made run richer. thus fouling plugs. and left large peice of cotton above needle in one of carbs.
he told me the cylinder head needed to come of as the valves where fouled. there covered in carbon that will come off after i run some berrymans through it. the engine has under 16,000 miles. i stated this and he backed off. eventually.
he has spent over 3 monthes on somehting other shops ssad they would do in 3 hours. and he has not done anything else. the muffler needs new fasteners.
im pissed and want input.
________
Body science

Last edited by sam; 04-14-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: mechanic hurting my 1995 zx9r

take you bike backand begin to do your own work, we can help you, at this point the only thing i see is that even if he is doing a good job (and i dont think he is) you will be totally un happy with the bike.

the battery is probably not hurt, because car/motorcycle batteries are 12volts. but he should not be trying to jump the bike because that is not "healthy"

good luck and welcome to kf

Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

damaged plug wired and incorrect plug placement coul cause some serious but not permanent problems. you may need to replace the plug wires if they are damaged. poor spark will cause fouled plugs, as will poor carb tuning if he adjusted the carbs for the new cams, assuming he even timed the cams right.

i wouldn't let this guy touch the bike anymore. try to get your money back and have someone else fix it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
sam
1st Gear Member

thanks for input.
i was concerned the ignition system would have been damaged. it is a expensive set up. and its brand new. the battery i dont care about.
when i was younger i tried to jump my fzr 600 and had to replace the ic igniter as a result.
________
MFLB BATTERY RECHARGING

Last edited by sam; 04-14-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:23 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sam,you are scaring me with your write up! I'd be out of dodge with my ride from the sounds of it. I take it that neither one of you have the factory manual. Placing the wrong wires on the plugs, unclean house keeping, this battery issueis not concerning as far as the other aspects. Except! that in my manual, it says I have to run a sealed battery or ecu/electronics can be affected.

edit: affected=damaged

Old 11-21-2007, 07:22 AM
sam
1st Gear Member

damage was my major concern. I have seen it happen before. he stated it only 12 volts and cant harm anyhting today.
and now it is getting no spark. and the dyna 2000 is not reading correctly. it does not turn green or flash or come on like it did when I INSTALLED IT. key point is it ran when i had it before i installed ignition system and after(took awhile but i did it) now after his work it does not.
i was wrong. it dose have a airbox gasket. its much smaller than the old one and i missed it. still wont completly seal with the K&N in it.
the hose going to the crank vent is oily all over. seems like its cheap auto parts rubber(brand new) is breaking down or blow by is seeping out of pores of rubber. this tells it was run long and hard.

He has the manual.
I gave him the kawasaki shop manual and all instructions on the parts i installed.
today he said he couldnt reember the valve numbers and when pressed said in the middle. i do not understand that cop out answer. Muzzy stated 105 and 105 at 1mm lift.
travis would not really listen. all he kept saying is it was running and he didnt know what it was. and he acts like he is too busy to work on it. or explain.
i checked the crank trigger and it looks fine, connections like fine and htere grounded as far as i could see.
it looks like the expensive ignition system was deliberatly destroyed.
I am at the end of my patience and see legal recourse as my last option. I do not have proof of the long list of aftermarket parts and want them to sighn off on one.
i have not paid any money for the suposed work. but if i dont i dont think ill get the cycle back unless I lie. there going to want money and so far there acting as if everytig is normal. its a small town shop. I actually know these people.

I cannot fully express how angry I am. i hate travis lopeman.
________
T SERIES

Last edited by sam; 04-14-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

if they refuse to take care of it then you will have to take it to another shop. have them fix it and document everything that was wrong and take that information to the first shop. if they make you pay then this should make them refund the money or they will most certainly lose in court. most businesses will settle with you once they get a summons. before that the crooked companies won't take you seriously.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

And you guys wonder why I'm such a strongadvocate of doing whatever mechanical work you possibly can on your bikes???? Eeeeeeeek! [sm=rant.gif]

Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 PM
sam
1st Gear Member

me too. however the cam gear instalation is beyond my level. i lack hte tools and inderstanding to do it properly.
think ill invest in a degree wheel.

its running. plugged in fuel pump(dont know why SOMEONE unplugged it) fuel pump relay runing insuficient current.

________
Ebony Cams

Last edited by sam; 04-14-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:10 AM
sam
1st Gear Member

i gave up on trying to work on it as evertime i started i had to undo the tampering.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif] IE unpluged terminals loosened fasters and rearanged parts thatr should not even have been messed with.
I tried to take it and they wont let me.[sm=icon_flaming.gif]
He told me he dosent want to work on it and never wants to see it again.
I got the turn siganls to come on but there not flashing. ok i can manually flash em or use my hhands.
but am told i need to wait several weeks for a fuel pump relay. mabey longer.
I have tried bullying, bribing, encouraging and doing what i can myself and in the latter things magically keep going wrong and i end up chasing my tail. I have tried everyting i can think of and listen to the owners advice despite my hatred of it as it usually means me doing nothing. like the fat lazy mehcanic.[sm=violent053.gif]

will a car relay work? will it cause harm in any way? they want to use one.[sm=badbadbad.gif]
________
CSI ADVICE

Last edited by sam; 04-14-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: mechanic hurting my 1995 zx9r