Gave my baby a bath today

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Gave my baby a bath today

Gotta admit, I still love this bike. Saw a ZX14 up close and personal today. Honestly, the styling of the old ZX9's and 7's STILL does it for me. I love the ducts and the bodywork. The curves and LACK of sharp angles of the newer rides, just turns me on. Always has. I'm never selling this bike.

Attached Thumbnails Gave my baby a bath today-imgp0283.jpg  
Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

That's one sweet ride, Jeff.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Thanks, ID. The 9 is so basic. No extraneous plastic where it doesn't belong. There's no extra crap around the fuel tank (like on the 14 I saw today) which looks like it's supposed to "dress up" mistakes. The Ferrari "Testa Rossa" plastic coming from the engine duct on the 14 looks STUPID, IMHO. The tail on the 9 is like a 1950's female movie-star; just has enough "cushion in the hips" (if you know what I mean. OMG!) The ducts are just in the right spot at the right angle. It's carbureted!! It's not stretched in the rear end; no goofy 10 foot-long swingarm. A nice, tight butt. The Corbin seat and passenger pad give it the "anyone can ride it" look. The tail has the '90's ZX7 trailing "beak." The frame is a thing of beauty polished-up. The tank is a ('90's) tick heavy on top and forward, and the carbon fiber covers on the air ducts is real.....
The only other bike from the '90's that gave me a similar Jones, was the Ducati 900ss. I rode one that was race prepped. Gorgeous bike; BEAUTIFUL sound and handling, but....the 'ol ZX9 could just flat "out-scream" it, hands down. Plus, the Duck felt too small; too narrow, next to the ZX9 beast. You didn't have to wrestle the Duck. The 9 was/is like the old Superbikes that take some testosterone to make the experience complete.
I love the old girl. She's my baby.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I cannot bad mouth the 14 personally. Only that I can watch a bug eyed cartoon that looks like it and that it is only able to manage 500hp supposedly before the bottom end gives up? Just from reading knowledge only. But how would a 500hp ride feel like? I can only imagine the experience. Then again, I have not owned a 9 yet and have kept my old hoover tubed zx7 because of the same mentallity. Either ya like it or ya get rid of it.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Drag, no complaints with the power of the 14; it is obviously bada$$. The styling, though. Having sat in the saddle, it's just too dressed in plastic. Like wearing a Saville Row bespoke cashmere dinner jacket with t-shirt and jeans......really? Take off the candy wrapper. Be genuine and respect will come from those who truly understand; the people who matter.
Find one and sit on it. I already know you understand, brother.....

Old 11-23-2012, 03:40 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Drag, no complaints with the power of the 14; it is obviously bada$$. The styling, though. Having sat in the saddle, it's just too dressed in plastic. Like wearing a Saville Row bespoke cashmere dinner jacket with t-shirt and jeans......really? Take off the candy wrapper. Be genuine and respect will come from those who truly understand; the people who matter.
Find one and sit on it. I already know you understand, brother.....

indeed. A person loves a ride for what the comfort level primarily, the cosmetic level and of course the experiences of that ride. You have a nice ride and it seems to fit your comfort levels. Congrats and that really makes me want to elaborate on your ride or on just what makes a person comfy. It is really great to chat with others that have experienced other rides that meet their needs. (ie welcome to KF aspects)

The 14 just did not hit my comfort levels as neither did the 9r, but the concours intrigued me for some reason. (old age maybe) Kept the KZ1000, VFR 750, h2 750 to manage with some of my difficulties I guess. LOL The lil ninja 250 (for the wife only was the intent), the lil ninja 500 (kinda my daily ride), the lowly '06 10r with slicks....(she stays where she is at the moment...the track)

I already know you understand, brother.....
yeah, in the end, that is my issue. LOL

Sorry for the hijack, but it is nice to hear of another proud owner from KF

Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

It's alright, I mean its no ST 1300 but still LOL buwahahahahahaha

Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Came across this today on Twitter and couldn't resist sharing. MV has made some beautiful bikes in its day, but (IMHO) this ain't one of 'em.

2013 MV Agusta Rivale 800 | Studio Wallpaper | Ultimate Motorcycling

Looks like one of Deej' plumbing repairs gone haywire......

Old 11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Came across this today on Twitter and couldn't resist sharing. MV has made some beautiful bikes in its day, but (IMHO) this ain't one of 'em.

Hahaha nice! Not the bike...

Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

That may be worse than can be blamed on Deej. Although to be honest, I'm not sure I've seen one of his completed projects...

Quick Reply: Gave my baby a bath today