Frames cracking on zx9s??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Frames cracking on zx9s??

caught a glimps of a post about frames on the zx9 to b prone to cracks. could this b true? think it was supposed to b up near the neck can anyone verify this or wat? how do you know what can u do??Promise to try to make a post with some sort of semi useful info in it soon instead of just asking questions thanks. Oh and can exceeding the weight limit from the manual make it worse?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:37 AM
Default RE: Frames cracking on zx9s??

Im sure exceeding the weight on any bike is bad. As for the frame cracking all bikes are prone to that from stunting.(never heard of that from normal use) I looked on my other forum in the 9 section and didnt see any post like you talking about.Sorry.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:39 AM

hey man i did find this. hope it helps

US Models only:

After extensively researching the 2000 ZX-9R VIN’s relational to the frame cracking problems out of boredom; I have come to a direct conclusion. The 2000 frames seem to be cracking on the bikes with lower-early stage production VIN numbers for the 2000 model year. For example, JKAZX2E18YA001082, the lower the last four "not five-plus" digits'the more likely you will have this frame problem. I have used a large number of 2000 VIN numbers and various websites to come up with this conclusion.

I am not hearing of this problem anywhere after the 3000 or so number range on these VIN's. Here is another actual VIN: JKAZX2E11YA000766, This frame could be consistent in developing the cracking problem.

Furthermore, I have compared the 99 to the 2000 frame and they are the same in every aspect. They did change the frames in late production year of 2001 by placing inter-frame supports, although, it was not separate from the frame but integrated as part of the frame itself not being welded. Thus, making it stronger from were the engine mounts were located.

The 2000 problem, considering, the frame is the same as the 99’ is most likely due to the metal grain structure of the frame. Meaning, the structural metal was not efficient and non-structurally sound. It's science... There are many types of aluminum some are much stronger than others. These bike manufacturers use high heat and high per-pound pressures to make these frames stronger when producing the frame pieces separate before welding.

Sometime during that years production they ‘might have’ figured this problem out and used stronger per-pound pressures as well as hotter and or’ increased heat cycles on the frame themselves "Maybe even stonger aluminum itself". That’s my own observation…

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/view/ZX9R/all/2/1/YYYYYYY/

Old 02-14-2007, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

wow thanks man that sounds like you looked into it unfortunatley i will have to also as my vin ends in th 750 range and i have the 2000 and when i take the wife we exceed the weight limit which is apprx 400lbs i will also look 4 the other post i saw which mentioned that but i dont think it went into any detail just brought it to my attention sure would suck to have forks and bike seperate at speed done it on a bicycle dont wana know what it would be like on a bike. would the stress be visible cuz i will be looking

Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Hrm... in all honesty - if someone is trying to stunt the ZX9 - they deserve to not only have the frame crack, but also their head. The 9 in any incarnation is not a bike for being a stunna.

Actually - I believe the 9 is the same 98 & up in pretty much every aspect, except the upper fairing and headlight assembly. I'm not worried about my 98 though... the thing is a tank

Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

dont stunt mine except 4 the occasional wheelie but ride it hard and overload it on a regular basis wife will have her own soon. not to worried just wondering if its a problem will look at frame real good as i am polishing it soon too much snow to ride. the only real problem with stunting the 9 is oil not pumping in long wheelies and stress but thats on almost ant bike but i would pick a lighter bike for that but ive always thought if i got a new ride would b fun to turn my 9 into a hooligan machine but better off buyin u junker 600 4 cheap and just thrash it