ELECTRICAL PROBLEM, I NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:22 AM
Default ELECTRICAL PROBLEM, I NEED HELP!

2001 zx9r, I started the bike and let it warm up, took off on it and after about 5 feet it shut down, like i hit the kill switch. I've got good voltage to everything on the left side controls,I tested the kill switch and start bottons, they are working. I bypassed the kickstand saftey but it didn't help. all fuses are good although one fuse (10 amp) has no voltage (it has a blue wire with a yellow stripe). It will not engage the starter although it seems to slightly kick the starter. I checked all the wiring connections other than the key switch. So I'm wondering is there are any other safety switches that may be causing the problem and does anyone know what the blue and yellow wire goes to?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ELECTRICAL PROBLEM, I NEED HELP!

hopefully this is accurate..

ok.. combing thru an older manual for ya.. this is for the 98-99 model, so bear with me..

can't promise this is it, but it may very well be.. color codes rarely change..

this is showing the BL/Y as the hi/low beam switch feed.

the feed sources from the relay. IT'Ssource stems from a blue wire that comes from the fuse box.

i hope this helps a bit on what that is..

i say this it seems, ever time i see a prolem like this, but kawi put an anti-theft circuit in the key switch. it's comprised of a tiny resistor that feeds 6V to the CDI.. now, on the 7-R, its a gray wire... but you WILL NOT find this on any print, so i can't tel ya what it'll be for sure on your machine.. but, like i said, chances are it'll be a gray wire.

you won't have spark or fuel (being that your fuel pump runs off the W/R wire going to the coil pack)

thats just me.. thats the FIRST thing i personally check is that 6 volt feed.

i then move to the trigger coil... (yellow, and blk/w) 375-565 ohms

spark plug coils- pri: .85 - 1.15 ohms
sec: 9.6 - 14.4Kohms

pri testing.. T1 and T2 of connector (T1 is the left terminal if you're holding it in the position it would sit in the motor, T2 is the right terminal)

sec testing T1 and spark plug terminal spring at end

cam sensor (r/w, r/blk) 400-460 ohms

keep me posted man.. let me know if anythings accurate. if not, then i'll try to find a better manual..lol

good luck!

oh, btw.. just triple check the stupid chit.. it always seems to be something simple most times, but this is for areference and whatnot..

Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 PM

OK, the info you gave me about the blue and yellow wire makes sense. The headlight is not lit unless the engine is running, so I can understand why that fuse has no power, when the engine is started it should have power.
If kawasaki has an anti theft system on the bike I would believe the problem I'm having has something to do with that. The engine was running normal and just shut down, try to restart the engine and the starter does not even engage. Its not like the engine cranks but won't start, it shut down and won't even crank. That being said I don't think its the coil packs that are the ussue (although I could be wrong) I would think its something on the lines of the computer under the seat but does that have any control over the starter? Is there a "tip over switch" like honda uses?
This is the strange thing, In my head I seem to think I felt the kickstand rub my leg as I was power walking the bike past our car. I was kind of kicking at it with my leg to make sure it was all the way up exactly when the bike died. I've checked the saftey switch and wiringbut don't see a problem,I knowthat the kickstand saftey will shut the engine down but why would it not allow the engine to be cranked over when the trans is showing its in nutrual? I just have this gut feeling its a saftey switch related problem.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM

new update... tried it again this morning and the fuel pump was clicking rapidly, sounded almost like a starter with a really low battery, I'm sure it was the fuel pump because I could feel it vibrating. The starter didn't really do anything. The engine still did not start or even atempt to turn over but the fuel pump is doing something which is better than where I was last night.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Member

theres a bypass circuit to start fuel flowthat comes off the start button. the relay is an SCR type relay (solid-state) and needs a signal to the "gate", either pulsed or constant, to allow current flow to the pump.

i'm pretty sure its a diaphragm pump, so it should be naturally noisey..

hmm.. thinkin here.. uhh..

you said that the bike won't even crank.. now, my bike WILL crank.. i just do not get spark when it IS cranking, like it's disregarding the trigger coil signal.

theres a switching transistor that senses the 6V feed. this transistor enables the output transistors for the coil packs when it's input is satisfied. if it sees 8 or more volts however, it disregards this as false, and disables the ignition circuit. there IS a chance tho that on your bike, the starter circuit is also disabled in this event. i've never had the pleasure of wrenching on a 9-R yet, so i'm a bit unfamiliar with how they're wired up. there very well could be a starter inhibit tie on that beast..

i'll hafta comb the archives and see if the starter circuit runs into the CDI anywhere..

well, just FYI, that resistor, should you test it and find it bad, is a 1/4 watt 98 ohm jobbie.. bout a +/- 20% i think.. didn't catch the color of the last band.. gold i think, but i can't remember..

with that little jar on the kickstand, i'd doublecheck the integrity of the connections and conductors. go over the clutch switch as well, as it lies inthe circuit containing the neutral and kickstand switch... at least, i'm pretty sure they're all linked. the clutch switch should be in parallelaround the neutral safety switch, and the k.s. switch should be in series.. unless your N.S.S is a grounding switch.

i gotta look at the prints..

play around a bit, and hopefully that'll give me time to get an attack plan for ya together if you'd like.

good luck bro.. keep me posted.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM

I went home last night hit the starter and the bike fired right up, I put the tank and the seat back on and it wouldn't crank again, took the tank off and still no cranking???? I've been all over the wiring, what is the relay by the head light? I know its not turn signals or the fuel pump. also where does the starter get voltage from? My starter has one ground cable and no other wires. I really need a wiring diagram, times are tough at the moment and I just can't afford to buy a manual, arethere any websites with free schematics? I need to see what wires do what and how the kickstand, nuetrual, and clutch switch tie in together.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmm.. weird.. might be the kill switch or start button takin a chit..

as far as manuals, carlsalter.com is where i found the 98-99 one i used to reference your wiring.. it was the only 9-R manual i think on there..
this schematic, crudely put together from 2 halves, (in ms paint..lol)hopefully will shed a lil light on this crap.

took forever. this computer is a F'ing whorebag. kept freezing up. [:@]

you owe me a Mt. dew now for my mental anguish..lol
Name:  9r-1.jpg
Views: 16689
Size:  111.8 KB

i had a whole bunch of other crap typed out, but this thing shyt on me, and i lost it. and its almost 5 am, and i'm tired, and i got 4 bikes in my shop waiting for service, and 3 acres of grss to cut if it doesn't rain. [&o]

Old 04-26-2008, 02:08 PM

Man your awsome! Thanks for putting so much effort into getting a stranger back out on one wheel! I mean two wheels. Funny storry... I was out riding in a group, I was leading on a nicer open road with no traffic so I cranked it up and road a wheelie for about 1/2 mile set it down cause there was a car getting close. I looked in my mirror and saw flashing lights. long story short, sheriff pulled me over just to tell me how cool that wheelie was (because he was behind my the whole time) and I rode off with a warning about looking in my mirrors before I do a wheelie. Man it was funny. My riding buddies all knew the sheriff was back there and they said it was crazy, like on a stunt video, there is a cop and I ride a wheelie

Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 AM
1st Gear Member

lmfao. man.... i get $1000 in fines for doing a wheelie on my F'in fiddy... and there you go riding a 1/2 milewheelie on the streets.. lucky you..

maybe the cops are haters around here? i was stuntin in a parkinglot once, and a cop came in and watched me for about 15 minutes, then came over and talked. he was cool as hell, but this cop that busted me and my boy on our fiddies was a *********..lol

anyways, i'm guessing you're all squared away? .. i hope so..

it's my pleasure to help ya out man.. i know what its like to watch EVERYONE ELSE ride, and your bike's sittin home.. dead.. lol

Old 05-27-2008, 01:02 PM

Actually the problem isn't fixed, I had to stop working on the bike for a while to help my wife redo the landscaping...

Here is what I have found so far. I replaced the starter solenoid (no help) I replaced the junction box (no help) and I replaced the wiring harness (again no help) although I did get the bike to crank over and fire up when I got mad enough to just about break the key off in the ignition. I took the ignition switch apart but didn't see anything that would seem to be a problem, continuity is good, no excessive wear on anything, no burnt connections or wires. However, back at the voltage regulator one connector was melted internally. it took about a half hour just to dissconnect that connector. I can't tell if the connector was the cause or if the regulator over charged and melted the connector. I talked to a buddy and he he says some bikes have a theft system in the ignition that if they get over 9.5 volts it distroys the ignition switch. I'm wondering if that could be the case. The voltage regulator spiked the ignition switch and burned it out even though physically the ignition switch looks great internally. Also can the cdi box keep the starter from cranking? I figure all that is left in the systen is the cdi, voltage regulator, and igniton switch, everything else has been replaced.