Considering a 98 - anythign I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Considering a 98 - anythign I should know?

As per my other post in Off Topic - since finding a good condition 7 that hasn't been beat on or wrecked is quite the challenge - I am considering a co-workers 9. Never been dropped, maybe a handful of wheelies, never been beat on. I know the guy and his personality is not that of your typical rocket rider. It has a full muzzy system and stage 1 kit, bubble shield and is otherwise stock. about 1k on M-1's, and not a single scratch anywhere on the bike.

It has stock original chain, rotors and pads.

14k miles, 4k$ asking price...

Anything about this I should know, look for, check for, or be prepared for should I get it?

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/576/327CD96B1E944397BA4DA80C68A3A9CB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-07-2006, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Considering a 98 - anythign I should know?

The Mighty 9 is as solid as any bike, but those kinds of mods immediately cast aspersions upon a bike's previous owner. It's like seeing some other guy's name tattooed on your date's chest in that gang-banga font.
90% of all jetkits solve any problems by simply dumping a mildly over-rich condition across all ranges. This sounds harmless, but ultimately leads to carbon build-up which shortens the service lifespans of the valve seats, valve seals and piston rings.

And the following struck me as an interesting combination of terms:
...maybe a handful of wheelies, never been beat on...
If he's willing to show you the maintenance records, receipts for the oil-filters; let you look at the spark plugs that are currently in the bike (I'll bet they're black); let you take it to a dealership for a compression check; AND provide all of the stock equipment, then I would consider it. Otherwise, there are a lot of bikes out there for $4000.
Nothing against the bike or your friend, I just don't trust used car (or bike) salesmen.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-CCinC

Old 09-07-2006, 01:59 AM

I have a 98 zx9r. It runs great with the 13K miles that are on it. They def. are built very soid.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

He says that his gas mileage went up after the jet kit and exhaust was put on - so if anything it would sound lean, not rich - no? He brought all the service receipts today - he has owned it since new, has been running Kawi synthetic in it from day 1. He has the stock exhaust and other components, and we will be pulling a couple of plugs at lunch today. The coolant in the tank is as bright green as the bike, and the oil looks really good.

Also - I don't think doing a few wheelies on a bike = beating on it. Endos, burnouts, wheeling off every light, high-rpm noise making sessions, etc = beating on it.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Pulled 2 plugs - very clean. He put them in at the beginning of the season and has about 2k on them.

Now for a somewhat retarded question... but I hope you guys will feel for me here...

The wife doesn't want to ride if there is no seatback. Does anyone aftermarket make anything for the rear seat that can help in that department, or has anyone fabricated something? Even if it is a little one... and preferably removable.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

nobody? nothin? cmon... :S

Old 09-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

So you are wanting a sissy bar srobak?

I know there are some universal ones out there... I can't remeber where I saw them tho... Maybe Jcwhitney?

Bike sounds like a heck of a good deal.....

Old 09-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Nope...Jc whitney did not have them. I can't remeber who had it. there was one that was held on by suction cups. I saw those in real life also, and they held surpisingly well. They were tethered also, so even if the suction cup came loose, it still held. I'll see if a can find it for ya....

Flipping bad memory. lol

Old 09-12-2006, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks dude - appreciate whatever you can find, although I cannot believe I am actually considering one of these for a sportbike. :S

Old 09-13-2006, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like this may actually come to fruition... I will keep you all posted!

Quick Reply: Considering a 98 - anythign I should know?