96 zx9r truble ... help ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Default 96 zx9r truble ... help ...

hey guys.. i just got this 96 zx9r cheap and i am having some truble with it and was hopping someone could help me with it.. first is the carbs or something.. when i start the bike it fires right up, idles right, and will take off like it should. but at the top of every gear i get a sputter , then it will either die or drop the rmp's like crazy. i have to hold it wide open to keep it running.. i check the tank and someone coated it and not the right way so i bought a new one... check the fuel pump, it's working like it should. so moved to the carbs. cleaned them three time and it is doing the same thing... i just did it today again because i want to ride.. went down the road. first was fine second started with the sputter.. then it died and had nothing. lights, starter, nothing.. i remembered the last time it was a fues. well it was again, the main fues in the silonoid.. can anyone help me fix my bike. i'm dieing over here and i ready to dig a hole and throw it in it..... it does have a after market pipe and the guy said it was jetted.. and the jet holes are huge... should i get a smaller jet or biger? i keep killing plugs too.... help... thank you guys for looking and god bless.
zx-9er

Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

My first thought on this would be to check your electrical and not your carbs since you are popping a fuse and it is cutting out at high rpm. (Such as the rectifier/regulator) What solenoid are you referring too?

Welcome to KF

Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 PM

the solenoid to the starter from the battery.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Tell me more about "killing plugs." What do they look like?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

and how solid is the battery? Time for a replacement?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM

well the plugs look good. clean, no black build up or wetness.. but they lose there spark all together.. not all at the same time but just lose spark.. the guy i got it from said he had it jetted when he put on the pipe and they are big jets.. when i went to get the bike he said some big guy came over and took it for a ride and it started to sputter. after i seen the tank i thought it was just a bad tank.. rusty, and porly coated.. so i bought a brand new tank... cleaned the carbs out and the fuel pump and it ran fine for about 4 block then started back with the sputtering...
the battery is up but if the bike dies then you only have 4 or 5 times of trying to start it then the battery dies out.. but it will crank it like crazy untill then....

Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

zx, since you tell us that the plugs "look good; clean, no carbon or wetness," AND the bike (in your first post) ".... fires right up, idles right, and will take off like it should," that points me in the electrical direction (as Drag suggested^.) I'm not convinced the sputtering is a "mechanical" issue. Has anyone tampered with the brain box (near rear fender)? I recall having a Vance & Hines replacement unit --spec'd for the ZX9--which simply DID NOT work on my bike. (I even sent to V&H to bench test.) It would run OK, but then crap up, just like you describe. When I put on the factory box, it ran great again, (and has been on ever since.) You might try another box?
(Please don't lay on the starter button. You can cook your starter pretty quickly. If it doesn't fire-up in 2 or 3 momentary hits; something needs fixed.) ...and go easy on the starting fluid, if you are so inclined.
I'm guessing you've inspected the wiring harness for hacks and such? I think you said the bike was in excellent condition, but never hurts to check.
Keep us posted. We'll work through the problem with you.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM

well i did notice that there is a small two prong box in the back under the tail that was tampered with.. the fuel pump line was wired in to it.. when i trayed to unplug it, the box fell apart and the insides fell out.. it is some kind of relay for blinkers or something.. thats what i was told... but they had the fuel pump wired in to it i guess because it powers up when the key is on... so i took it and hook it to a switch (fuel pump) but it does the same.. i rode it to church yesturday and rode it for about 20 or 30 minutes after (cuz church is 7 blocks away) and the bike rode fine.. when you ride it hard is when it brakes up.... now the fuel pump is buzzing at times and not filling all the way up.... i took it lose and it is pumping... im going to chang it today.... and the safty for the clutch is cut off and twisted to gether at the grips.. uther then that the harness looks to be good. one lose ground at the fuel pump. but the rest looks unmolested.. i realy want to thank you guys for all your help with this bike.. i was ready to dig a hole and burn the damn thing...lol.... thank you again and god bless..

Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Stick with us, ZX. We're always glad to help if we can, but internet trouble-shooting is more an art than science. Keep us updated on progress (or not) and just feel free to jump in on the posts.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:37 PM

i will.. first i want to thank you guys for all your help..i did find the problem and fixed it.. it was the battery, coils and the fuel pump.. it ran great... but now...lol... i need a motor.. it had a oil leak and instead of breaking the bike down to fix it i put in WHITE SHEPARD oil stop leak..( don't ever use this stuff) i know i know... bad move.. it thined out the oil and locked up my motor.. i called the company (blue devil) and they said they would fix this. so i need a motor. does any one have a 93-97 zx9b or r motor that will fit my bike.. or is the motor different because this is a U.K. bike. if anyone has or knows where i can get a running motor for my bike just let me know and i will get it from you.. thank you guys again for being there for me in my time of need and i know i can count on you guys again... god bless, and happy riding

Quick Reply: 96 zx9r truble ... help ...