I figured out why my gas mileage sux.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I figured out why my gas mileage sux.

I posted a question about this before. I just realized there are sprokets on my bike. The thing is the guy before me told me he took them off. Well he is a damn liar. They are anodized blue. well the back one is, cant see the front. think they are 520 not sure though. All I know as it being my first bike, it is really fast! So I bought a bike from a racer, oh well. He left a BMC race filter and those damn sprokets, some IRD plugs, and Penske shocks. The sprokets are killing me. My gas mileage sux. like 86 miles a fill up. Which is about 3.1 gal. i put like 800mile on it sice 4wks ago. BS, I need that speedohealer, to fix it fast, befoer I rake up all that mileage.

Im kinda pissed about it. The guy could of at least told me befoer I put a bunch of wasted miles on it. Jerk! I called him he didnt pick up. Now I got a raced out 636, and all I wanted was a fast Ninja to get to school, not an ex-racer. Im actually pretty bumed about it and looking possibly to get a 05 in a few mnths when they drop in price. i wanna find a stock one with under 2k miles. Then I'll be confident about buying a used bike again. Bad experiece I guess. Just hope no more unexpected suprises.

Question I found the speedohealer from another recent post. Only 89$ not bad, would yall recommend the extra long harness for $10more? Or standard fine?

Old 10-16-2005, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I figured out why my gas mileage sux.

Not sure if the 636 needs the harness or not but it is nice to mount the speedohealer in the trunk. Call or email speedohealer and ask if the stock harness is long enough.

To properly calibrate your speedohealer you will need to know the stock gearing and what new gearing you have. You will have to take the front sprocket cover off to access it and count the teeth if it is not printed on the side. After that there is a free online calculator that speedohealer has on there website and it will tell you the info you need.

Don't get to down about your bike it probably is fine and having the new sprockets is most likely a good thing. If your bike is mechanically sound and not beat to hell your OK. I agree the person should have told you about and modifications though.

Take it easy bro and ride safe.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:48 AM

sprockets make a difference, but never would they make your gas milege that low. its something else beside that. i could have told you a anadized blue rear sprocket wasnt stock...

Old 10-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

He just thinks it is that bad because the the speedo is off. He understands that now!