Cold Road + COld Tire = Kiss my a$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Default Cold Road + COld Tire = Kiss my a$$

So it was a nice day out and I had an errand to run, I thought to myself I'll take the bike. The future wife got in the shower and I put on my gear to head out. About an 1/8 a mile down the street from my house is a yield (rolling stop) sign. I come up to it, see no one and proceed through it. I give it some gas and hear the revs fly high, bike kicked right, had just enough time to think I'm done. Then I come too. Bike slid then caught and high sided, VORTEX frams sliders are the ****, the nose is rasehd a little, the tail is rashed a little, and the crank cover a little. Nothing broken will post pics soon, me however a mild concusion, road rash on both knees, forearm, and knuckles, extremely bruised shoulder and upper back and thigh. Nothing serious all thanks to my riding gear, My helmet is toast and if I hadnt had it on I woulda been toast....

Ride safe in cold weather, and for god sakes have the gear on!

Pics to come soon

Old 11-21-2005, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Cold Road + COld Tire = Kiss my a$$

Glad to see you made it out with no serious injuries, dam pavement can get you no matter how fast you are going.

Take it easy bro

Old 11-21-2005, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

dude, nice to know that your pretty much ok and in one piece.... i know what you mean about cold tires.... i've had my spill.... so heal up and get back on the road.... ride safe brother...

Old 11-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

wups up wingman... long time no talk....

Old 11-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Been out with my boy playing most of the weekend. How is it going, did you get the sirius #?

Old 11-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

ya i got it. but i haven't given it to the boss yet.... just got done doing a 6hr ride... man the weather is great... it's like summer time all over again...

Old 11-21-2005, 02:53 AM

ryninger, when you talk about "gear" what did you mean? The injuries you describe make it sound like you were wearing a helmet, tennis shoes and shorts.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:53 AM

As a noobie to street, I take it cold tires equal slippery conditions. Will the tires warm up eventually? I ride in 27 degrees+ so need to be aware of the dangers.
I also have read that high sided wipe outs are more brutal than lowside. I'm glad you're ok, I need to let santa know about my gear needs. I figure boots and a jacket are the first to come.
JB

Old 11-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear that other than being banged up - you are okay. I hear ya on the cold weather - the last time I had my bike out the temp dipped down to 4 degrees celcius (approx 39 fahrenheit) I just take the corners a slower than what I would in the summer and give myself some extra time to stop. Other than my hands (I need to get a pair of warmer gloves) the rest of me is fine (I got pants now )

Hope you heal up quickly ry!!!!

Old 11-21-2005, 06:07 PM

I feel for ya bro'.. I have had a couple close-calls (skwirms) because of cold tires.. Lucky enough to not go down yet.

Gotta warm those Rubbers up before you can go Monkey'n around with the throttle..

Glad to see you are still in one piece..

-O

Quick Reply: Cold Road + COld Tire = Kiss my a$$